OG 12 | SC

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:05 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:In his APPLICATION, carefully coordinating his [application -- OPTIONAL] ESSAYS with his narratives, Richie capitalized on his leadership roles -- does this LOGICALLY make sense SIMPLY as a STANDALONE sentence ?
This sentence is not viable.
Here, it is unclear what in his application serves to modify.
While this prepositional phrase is intended to modify capitalized (conveying that Richie CAPITALIZED in his application), it seems to modify coordinating (conveying that Richie was COORDINATING in his application).

The structure here is as follows:
PREPOSITIONAL MODIFIER + COMMA + VERBing MODIFIER + COMMA + MAIN CLAUSE.
In this structure, it will always be unclear whether the prepositional phrase serves to modify the VERBing modifier or the verb in the main clause.
For this reason, this structure is not viable -- sufficient reason to eliminate A and B in the SC above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:37 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: The introductory modifier in the OA includes her and she, each a pronoun without an antecedent.
The referent for these pronouns is Beatrix Potter, the subject of the following clause.
This structure is correct.
When an introductory modifier in an answer choice includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent should be the SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING CLAUSE.
Consider the following examples from the OG12:

Q7: As ITS sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, THE COMPANY...
Q28: Building on civilizations that preceded THEM in coastal Peru, THE MOCHICA...
Q31: Even though many of HER colleagues were convinced that genes were relatively simple and static, BARBARA MCCLINTOCK...

In each case, the introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent.
In each case, the referent is the subject of the following clause.
I can understand the above COMPLETELY. But confused with one of your other quotes in the forum - https://www.beatthegmat.com/because-the- ... tml#715874

In this link, it seems that your explanation doesn't EXACTLY match with what you mentioned above. So,could you please clarify this ?

Much thanks in advance!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:56 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - can you please clarify the concerns I raised above. It seems to me a mismatch in your explanations in TWO different questions.

Kindly help me understand where I'm getting this wrong! Would much appreciate your feedback.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:41 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: The introductory modifier in the OA includes her and she, each a pronoun without an antecedent.
The referent for these pronouns is Beatrix Potter, the subject of the following clause.
This structure is correct.
When an introductory modifier in an answer choice includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent should be the SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING CLAUSE.
Consider the following examples from the OG12:

Q7: As ITS sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, THE COMPANY...
Q28: Building on civilizations that preceded THEM in coastal Peru, THE MOCHICA...
Q31: Even though many of HER colleagues were convinced that genes were relatively simple and static, BARBARA MCCLINTOCK...

In each case, the introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent.
In each case, the referent is the subject of the following clause.
I can understand the above COMPLETELY. But confused with one of your other quotes in the forum - https://www.beatthegmat.com/because-the- ... tml#715874

In this link, it seems that your explanation doesn't EXACTLY match with what you mentioned above. So,could you please clarify this ?

Much thanks in advance!
The rule above is limited to the standard subject pronouns (he, she, it, they), object pronouns (him, her, it, them) and possessive pronouns (his, her, its, their).
It does not apply to there.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3