hi guys
amazing discussion
Atul, thanks for providing solution
oa is C

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 am
i want to know the reason behind ruling out B. i don't see a reason to use present perfect in C. The tense usage in B is better. The only problem i can see in B is the construct and the positioning of the comparer (than)..... but is that a sufficient reason..???

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kvitkod » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm
kvitkod wrote:

this is an example of the ONLY pronoun that is allowed to go without standing for a noun.

THE ONLY PRONOUN ON THE GMAT THAT DON'T HAVE TO STAND FOR NOUNS:

It + description + that + complete sentence (independent clause)
It + description + to + verb (infinitive)

these "it"s DO NOT have to stand for nouns.
ALL other gmat pronouns must stand for nouns.
Atulmangal, thank you, nice explanation

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 pm
clock60 wrote:New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.
a. makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before

b. make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before

c. have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

d. make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before

e. has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

guys please share your ideas about B vs C
source Gprep
It's not a tense issue, people. The present simple "make" bestows a 'general', something that is true meaning on the sentence (think "the earth rotates around its axis), while the present perfect 'have made' indicates that the techniques have recently made this possible without specifying when exactly. In the absence of context, both present perfect and present simple are viable options for this sentence.

The real issue with B is the mis-location of the comparison "than ever before". Generally speaking, things should be close to the things they talk about / refer to / modify. C uses the right form, as it first completes the comparison "study in greater detail than ever before", then moves on to talk about what exactly it is possible to study.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 am
i received a private message regarding this problem.

first, note that this problem is not from GMAT PREP -- a quick internet search reveals that it is from the old ETS paper exams, and that it has also apparently been lifted by "1000sc".

the fatal flaw in choice (b) is its needlessly splitting the modifier "in greater detail than ever before". i can't see any reason to split this modifier in the first place -- i.e., i can't think of any constructions that could be legitimately inserted into it -- but the comma placed after "in greater detail" is especially heinous. that comma totally changes the meaning, because the sentence is now basically just saying "in greater detail", rather than saying "in greater detail than ever before" as it's supposed to.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 am
@Ron and Geva thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now. Really appreciate it.
thanks for the post clock.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 am
lunarpower wrote:i received a private message regarding this problem.

first, note that this problem is not from GMAT PREP -- a quick internet search reveals that it is from the old ETS paper exams, and that it has also apparently been lifted by "1000sc".

the fatal flaw in choice (b) is its needlessly splitting the modifier "in greater detail than ever before". i can't see any reason to split this modifier in the first place -- i.e., i can't think of any constructions that could be legitimately inserted into it -- but the comma placed after "in greater detail" is especially heinous. that comma totally changes the meaning, because the sentence is now basically just saying "in greater detail", rather than saying "in greater detail than ever before" as it's supposed to.
Hi Ron , Then what does "than ever before : at the end of B signify ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by badresh70 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 am
IMO :C

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 am
mundasingh123 wrote:
lunarpower wrote:i received a private message regarding this problem.

Hi Ron , Then what does "than ever before : at the end of B signify ?
it doesn't really signify anything -- it's in a position that makes it nonsense.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron