My Exam Preparation Log (formerly Just Starting Out...)

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:37 am
800_or_bust wrote:The official GMAC prep exam questions are definitely tighter than most of the questions from non-GMAC sources. I went back and took a second look at that latest 800score exam. Here was question #5 (a medium difficulty SC question I had missed):

Bruce Springsteen and Meryl Streep are eligible for retirement benefits now, joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman, both having turned 65 this year.

(A) joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman, both having turned 65 this year.

(B) both having turned 65 this year, and join the ranks of other celebrities such as Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(C) both turned 65 this year, joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(D) becoming 65 this year, joining the ranks of other celebrities such as Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(E) and, because they have turned 65, they will have joined the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

The credited answer is (B). I selected (A). My problem with (B) is the modifier appears to be misplaced - it looks like its modifying retirement benefits instead of the subject, and also the use of the conjunction "and" seems weird here. I would think a participial phrase would be more appropriate. (A) results in a weird sentence - with the "both having turned 65" modifying Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman. Grammatically, however, it seems rock solid except for the use of "like" instead of "such as." I guess I should have just keyed in on that minor detail.
Don't fool yourself. Putting both having turned 65 this year at the end of the sentence, after Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman, is a pretty solid deal breaker.

Meanwhile, meaning dictates that retirement benefits is not both who turned 65 this year. Don't be too pseudo rule driven.

On the other hand, using like instead of such as seems basically ok to me. We are talking about people who are indeed like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

All that having been said, official verbal questions definitely do tend to be tighter than test prep company verbal questions.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:51 am
Any insight on how the unscored experimental questions affect the scoring algorithm? Are the experimental questions that you receive based on your CAT performance? Or can you be given an unscored question of any difficulty level at any time in the exam? I assume for somebody scoring in the upper 40s to around 50, any experimental can be no more difficult than the actual questions.
The experimental questions, to my knowledge, will not be impacted by how well you're doing. The whole point of including them is for GMAC to acquire data about what % of test-takers are likely to answer the question correctly. This way they can properly rate the difficulty level of the question once it becomes part of the exam.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:780

by 800_or_bust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Any insight on how the unscored experimental questions affect the scoring algorithm? Are the experimental questions that you receive based on your CAT performance? Or can you be given an unscored question of any difficulty level at any time in the exam? I assume for somebody scoring in the upper 40s to around 50, any experimental can be no more difficult than the actual questions.
The experimental questions, to my knowledge, will not be impacted by how well you're doing. The whole point of including them is for GMAC to acquire data about what % of test-takers are likely to answer the question correctly. This way they can properly rate the difficulty level of the question once it becomes part of the exam.
Interesting. Might explain why some people - not all, but some - tend to perform better on the actual examination than the practice exams. Reading some debriefs, it seems this is fairly common for higher scorers, i.e. those around 700+. If the issue is timing, in theory, you might expect that with some easier experimental questions thrown into the mix, you'd have more time to devote to the harder problems. That is, if you take about 2 minutes or so per question on average for harder quant questions but only 1-1:30 on easier ones, the CATs that don't simulate experimental questions might tend to exacerbate timing issues.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:53 pm
800_or_bust wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:The experimental questions, to my knowledge, will not be impacted by how well you're doing. The whole point of including them is for GMAC to acquire data about what % of test-takers are likely to answer the question correctly. This way they can properly rate the difficulty level of the question once it becomes part of the exam.
Interesting. Might explain why some people - not all, but some - tend to perform better on the actual examination than the practice exams. Reading some debriefs, it seems this is fairly common for higher scorers, i.e. those around 700+. If the issue is timing, in theory, you might expect that with some easier experimental questions thrown into the mix, you'd have more time to devote to the harder problems. That is, if you take about 2 minutes or so per question on average for harder quant questions but only 1-1:30 on easier ones, the CATs that don't simulate experimental questions might tend to exacerbate timing issues.
That's really interesting.

The first time I took the test, I think that one or two quant questions I got were probably experimental as they were weird and, and maybe I should not even have bothered working on them. That experience provides a good reason to guess now and then no matter how good at quant you feel you are, because an experimental question might be so weird that it won't even make it onto the actual test ever. I got one that used set notation in a way that I have not seen since high school or college, and never in any GMAT question before or since, and another used infinity or something related to infinity, and I felt that the answer was debatable. Maybe those questions were legit, but they seemed funny to me.

The second time I took the GMAT, the quant questions seemed so easy that I was actually thrown off a little. That perception was partly due to more preparation, but maybe also I just got some easy experimental ones too.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 am
Marty Murray wrote:
800_or_bust wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:The experimental questions, to my knowledge, will not be impacted by how well you're doing. The whole point of including them is for GMAC to acquire data about what % of test-takers are likely to answer the question correctly. This way they can properly rate the difficulty level of the question once it becomes part of the exam.
That's really interesting.

The first time I took the test, I think that one or two quant questions I got were probably experimental as they were weird and, and maybe I should not even have bothered working on them. That experience provides a good reason to guess now and then no matter how good at quant you feel you are, because an experimental question might be so weird that it won't even make it onto the actual test ever. I got one that used set notation in a way that I have not seen since high school or college, and never in any GMAT question before or since, and another used infinity or something related to infinity, and I felt that the answer was debatable. Maybe those questions were legit, but they seemed funny to me.

The second time I took the GMAT, the quant questions seemed so easy that I was actually thrown off a little. That perception was partly due to more preparation, but maybe also I just got some easy experimental ones too.
Wise words from Marty. The complexity of the experimental questions really does turn out to be something of a crapshoot, and this can lead to vastly different experiences during the exam. Some days you feel genuinely pushed. Other days you wonder, "Really, GMAT? That's all you've got." Just be prepared for either scenario.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by 800_or_bust » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:07 pm
So I completed my official GMAT this morning. Finished with a 780 (51Q/47V/8IR). The proctor stated that tied the highest score she had ever seen on the GMAT. But I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to get over the 800 hump, especially since my last practice exam was an 800 (51Q/51V/8IR). It's worth noting the 51Q was only a 97th percentile. Has 51Q dropped from 98th percentile to 97th percentile? This is the first time I've ever seen a 51Q be anything other than a 98th percentile. GMAC really should consider switching things up a bit to stem the steady rise in quant scores. Quant was too easy. I finished the section with 10-15 minutes left.
Attachments
GMAT.jpg
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:13 am
800_or_bust wrote:So I completed my official GMAT this morning. Finished with a 780 (51Q/47V/8IR). The proctor stated that tied the highest score she had ever seen on the GMAT.
Nice work.
But I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to get over the 800 hump, especially since my last practice exam was an 800 (51Q/51V/8IR).
Man, I guess one has to be reeeaaally on and reeeaaally careful to score V51, partly because occasionally the right answers to the questions can be a little debatable.

Maybe if you were vegan, assuming that you are not, you would have had the edge to get a couple more verbal right answers and hit 800. Maybe I should have suggested that before ...

Anyway, at least something about the test was challenging for you.
It's worth noting the 51Q was only a 97th percentile. Has 51Q dropped from 98th percentile to 97th percentile? This is the first time I've ever seen a 51Q be anything other than a 98th percentile.
Q51 dropped to 97th percentile some years ago.
GMAC really should consider switching things up a bit to stem the steady rise in quant scores. Quant was too easy. I finished the section with 10-15 minutes left.
If I have it right, the distribution of quant scores is fairly normal in a lot of places, but in China people take the test and memorize the questions, and then provide the questions to test takers. So Chinese test takers who have already seen the questions before they take the test bump up the average quant score, and making the quant section more difficult would not do much to solve that.

Anyway, I guess you had some fun playing the GMAT game for a few months and scored high enough to get into any school you want to. It's been fun having you around and reading some of the answers you posted. All the best!
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:410

by diegocml » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:43 am
Man, you've nailed it! Congratulations! Wish I had your brain while taking the GMAT! :)

Marty, what's up with being vegan and scoring high on verbal? What's the link?! :D

Also, this Chinese thing, it seems like Suits to me. Nuts and messed up!

Congrats once again 800_or_bust!
Diego

1st GMAT attemp: 410 (Q18 V27)
2nd GMAT attemp: 490 (Q35 V23)

by 800_or_bust » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 am
Marty Murray wrote:
800_or_bust wrote:So I completed my official GMAT this morning. Finished with a 780 (51Q/47V/8IR). The proctor stated that tied the highest score she had ever seen on the GMAT.
Nice work.
But I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to get over the 800 hump, especially since my last practice exam was an 800 (51Q/51V/8IR).
Man, I guess one has to be reeeaaally on and reeeaaally careful to score V51, partly because occasionally the right answers to the questions can be a little debatable.

Maybe if you were vegan, assuming that you are not, you would have had the edge to get a couple more verbal right answers and hit 800. Maybe I should have suggested that before ...

Anyway, at least something about the test was challenging for you.
It's worth noting the 51Q was only a 97th percentile. Has 51Q dropped from 98th percentile to 97th percentile? This is the first time I've ever seen a 51Q be anything other than a 98th percentile.
Q51 dropped to 97th percentile some years ago.
GMAC really should consider switching things up a bit to stem the steady rise in quant scores. Quant was too easy. I finished the section with 10-15 minutes left.
If I have it right, the distribution of quant scores is fairly normal in a lot of places, but in China people take the test and memorize the questions, and then provide the questions to test takers. So Chinese test takers who have already seen the questions before they take the test bump up the average quant score, and making the quant section more difficult would not do much to solve that.

Anyway, I guess you had some fun playing the GMAT game for a few months and scored high enough to get into any school you want to. It's been fun having you around and reading some of the answers you posted. All the best!
Thanks Marty! You were a great help, and your journey to 800 was good inspiration. Unlike you, I highly doubt I'll be taking the exam again. So 780 it will be.

Like I said, I was aiming for 760+ when I started seriously studying back in the beginning of April. So I'm satisfied. Would have liked to pull the 800 if for nothing else than bragging rights, but it's a challenge. Based on my experience, you need to be perfect on verbal to get the 51. And this was right in the middle of my performances on the official practice exams, which ranged from 770 to 800. And to be honest, the 800 practice exam was probably a little inflated because I had seen some of the questions earlier (computer had updated in the middle of taking it the 1st time), plus it wasn't under exam conditions. Took some longer breaks, etc. The actual GMAT is pretty grueling ordeal. I was definitely feeling a little burnt out by about midway through the verbal, and anxious to get out.
800 or bust!

by 800_or_bust » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:42 am
diegocml wrote:Man, you've nailed it! Congratulations! Wish I had your brain while taking the GMAT! :)

Marty, what's up with being vegan and scoring high on verbal? What's the link?! :D

Also, this Chinese thing, it seems like Suits to me. Nuts and messed up!

Congrats once again 800_or_bust!
Thanks Diego! I've read about some of those scams. Unfortunate, but it's got to be pretty difficult to memorize the questions like that. I'll say I can recall one DS question, but only because it was the only question I really spent a considerable amount of time on. Ended up taking my best educated guess and moving on. Obviously, I won't post anything about the question but it tested a typical GMAT concept in a way I had never come across. I kind of had the suspicion that neither statement alone would be sufficient, so I had it down to C and E. Guessed C and moved on. But wasn't sure how to attack it. It was a question that was not amenable to testing values, beause there were too many numbers that would be involved. And I didn't know how to derive the answer without testing values. It could have even been a very difficult, experimental question. Not sure.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:01 pm
diegocml wrote:Man, you've nailed it! Congratulations! Wish I had your brain while taking the GMAT! :)
It's not really a brain thing. The person, who is a spirit, makes the mind and the brain, and the brain is a tool of the mind. So scoring high is a spiritual thing.
I don't think that if one is really sharp and in touch one will eat meat, and if one eats meat, I think that all the craziness, bad energy and stuff, of the meat makes one somehow out of touch and less sharp. So eating meat perpetuates a vicious cycle, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually, and eating vegan, or, even better, only fruits and seeds, creates a virtuous cycle. So going vegan is, among other things, a way to enhance mental clarity and achieve emotional harmony, and mental clarity and emotional harmony are integral to scoring high on the verbal section of the GMAT.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:15 am
800_or_bust wrote:So I completed my official GMAT this morning. Finished with a 780 (51Q/47V/8IR). The proctor stated that tied the highest score she had ever seen on the GMAT. But I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to get over the 800 hump, especially since my last practice exam was an 800 (51Q/51V/8IR). It's worth noting the 51Q was only a 97th percentile. Has 51Q dropped from 98th percentile to 97th percentile? This is the first time I've ever seen a 51Q be anything other than a 98th percentile. GMAC really should consider switching things up a bit to stem the steady rise in quant scores. Quant was too easy. I finished the section with 10-15 minutes left.
Nice work. (Though I don't think anyone who's been following your story had any doubt that you were a lock for a 99th percentile score.) And very glad to see that you're sticking around to dispense advice - you've become a valuable contributor to our fine little community here.

Veritas Prep Reviews