Knewton Challenge, 1/24/11 (Glucose Intolerance)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lilisanei » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 pm
We need an assumption to create a link between the premises and the conclusion.

Premise 1: Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone that is needed to convert glucose into energy needed for daily life.

Premise 2: Because ice cream commonly contains glucose in the form of sucrose, diabetics generally experience discomfort after consuming even a small serving of ice cream.

Conclusion: However, since there are several ice cream companies who add sucrose to none of the ice cream they produce, diabetics are able to eat ice cream without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward.

As other friends explained A,B and C are quite out of scope and can be ignored easily. D is out too, because Glucose already mentioned as main factor of this disease.

E is correct assumption. It says that in order to make sure that that ice cream without Sucrose is safe, we need to assume that it does not have glucose, the main enemy of diabetes either.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 am
Adam,How to Negate A ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:37 members
GMAT Score:780

by Adam@Knewton » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:Adam,How to Negate A ?
The original question wrote:(A) These ice cream companies have been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose derived from glucose by means that do not involve adding any potential substances that may be of discomfort to diabetics.
We'd simply add a "not" before the main verb, so that it read:

"These ice cream companies have NOT been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose...."

This statement does not affect the Conclusion since it still refers to taste. I think your question is about whether this is the correct Negation or if we should negate the "do not" part later on: when using the Negation Test, always negate the main verb of the answer choice.
Prep Smarter, Score Higher
www.knewton.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 am
AdamKnewton wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:Adam,How to Negate A ?
The original question wrote:(A) These ice cream companies have been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose derived from glucose by means that do not involve adding any potential substances that may be of discomfort to diabetics.
We'd simply add a "not" before the main verb, so that it read:

"These ice cream companies have NOT been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose...."

This statement does not affect the Conclusion since it still refers to taste. I think your question is about whether this is the correct Negation or if we should negate the "do not" part later on: when using the Negation Test, always negate the main verb of the answer choice.
Thans Adam For the help.I have always been confused as to how to negate such sentences which have more than1 verb
I Seek Explanations Not Answers