Japan

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by kul512 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm
Is there any difference between D and E due to "Which" and "That" usage?

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 am
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquetteand images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

IMO: D , parallel and concise!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:27 am
Had to think deep to chose D

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:37 am
Where was this question taken from?
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

by shekhar.kataria » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm
Horrible Question. I think None of the Option is correct. but if i have to choose one i would go with D. Here is why i think all are wrong.

A,B,C :- Japan is not a culture,straight and simple.

D :- It should have and between a culture and a system. Otherwise the sentence is not complete and hence a fragment.

E :- awkward construction.

Correct me if i m wrong in my logic for D.

Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
W/o and before a system , a reader would expect another noun so as to complete the sentence.

ritula wrote:Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquetteand images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm
Japan is country not a culture.
Hence D

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 pm
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquetteand images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable

After doing so many sentence corrections questions, here you see a blinder coming from nowhere...

Japan is a country that's right, but even option D sounds wordy to me.

How can Japan's culture be a culture of something something...

you could write Japan's culture is known for its or Japan's culture includes...

A bit difficult to digest...

Maybe some expert could help in this question to understand better the whole sentence...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.