I cant believe it- 760 to 640- Not sure how GMAT beat me

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jaya27 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am
NB1234 wrote:Thanks.
I think there were a few things that I did differently for the re attempt. My analysis is based on the fact that I was getting scores close to 750 on my practice tests before the first attempt.

1) THIS ATTEMPT-
Didnt overstress and took some time off work- I "felt" different on the re atempt. I would contribute that to taking monday off(the re attempt GMAT was on tuesday). So in fact I had 3 days off including the weekend. I didnt write a practice exam on monday. Just spent the day idling with my son and family. The re attempt was early in the morning, so having a fresh mind helped. I would have gotten questions wrong on this attempt as well but they werent 4+2=8 kind of mistakes.

FIRST ATTEMPT-I remember on the first attempt, which was on saturday, I was too tired mentally. The day before, ie on friday,I worked for half day. My work involves a lot of activity on the phone, emails and constant time pressure to deliver things. That left me tired, I think.I remember on the first exam there was a question about decimals(hundreths etc) and I knew what to do but kept scaring at the screen for 5 mins re-re reading the question. On the third question I calculated 4/25 as 8 pecent instead of 16%. Getting an easy question wrong hurts your score more than getting a hard one wrong, IMO. And you are more prone to getting harder questions wrong if you are stressed for time.

2) Time management- This time I was both cautious of my answers as well of time.

RE-ATTEMPT- I would re check my answers, though as you would notice in the link I provide, that I already lost some time before I started quant.Also, I didnt just waste my time on one question. If I had to guess it I did within 3 mins of seeing the question. I didnt draw the grid this time but kept a mental note of time(roughly 10 mins for 5 questions).
On Verbal on the exam, even though on practice exams I would finish the section 10 mins ahead of time, I barely finished on time. Qstn 40 : Ihad to guess it in 30 secs and on 41 I just managed to click on a random option WITHOUT getting the time to click Submit/Next. The clock ran out on me.

First Attempt- I was behind time right away and probably left out /got wrong some pretty easy questions. Throughout the exam I was behind the clock. On Verbal though I cant say what went wrong. Perhaps I was over confident since I finished the verbal 10 mins ahead of time. This might have led to ignoring some of the right choices and settling on a "seemingly" right choice.

3) Extra Practice- I did put in extra hours of practice the second time by using Magoosh(primarily for DS) and GMAT Question Pack 1. The Question pack has good questions and allows you to practice under timed constraints on the computer.
Hi there,
many congratulations for your great score !

I took my test yesterday and got QA-44 and VA-34. Though I am not that good at verbal as you are but QA score has taken me aback. on my practice tests I always scored in the range of 47-50 in QA. VA has been my weakness and I've improved on it from 28ish to 34-35 :)

I am REALLY disappointed with my score and feel like the same way as you did on your first test score. I had set expectation to touch 700 mark and that could have been with qa-49/50 and va-35/36 I guess. :(

Reading your post has given some boost to my desire to reappear of which I am thinking since yesterday. Could you please help me with some tips and strategy for verbal.
(p.s. I've completed MGMAT SC twice, made my notes, have gone through gmatprepnow sc online material which I bought; for CR, I have read powerscore)

much appreciated

by jaya27 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 am
NB1234 wrote:Thanks.
I think there were a few things that I did differently for the re attempt. My analysis is based on the fact that I was getting scores close to 750 on my practice tests before the first attempt.

1) THIS ATTEMPT-
Didnt overstress and took some time off work- I "felt" different on the re atempt. I would contribute that to taking monday off(the re attempt GMAT was on tuesday). So in fact I had 3 days off including the weekend. I didnt write a practice exam on monday. Just spent the day idling with my son and family. The re attempt was early in the morning, so having a fresh mind helped. I would have gotten questions wrong on this attempt as well but they werent 4+2=8 kind of mistakes.

FIRST ATTEMPT-I remember on the first attempt, which was on saturday, I was too tired mentally. The day before, ie on friday,I worked for half day. My work involves a lot of activity on the phone, emails and constant time pressure to deliver things. That left me tired, I think.I remember on the first exam there was a question about decimals(hundreths etc) and I knew what to do but kept scaring at the screen for 5 mins re-re reading the question. On the third question I calculated 4/25 as 8 pecent instead of 16%. Getting an easy question wrong hurts your score more than getting a hard one wrong, IMO. And you are more prone to getting harder questions wrong if you are stressed for time.

2) Time management- This time I was both cautious of my answers as well of time.

RE-ATTEMPT- I would re check my answers, though as you would notice in the link I provide, that I already lost some time before I started quant.Also, I didnt just waste my time on one question. If I had to guess it I did within 3 mins of seeing the question. I didnt draw the grid this time but kept a mental note of time(roughly 10 mins for 5 questions).
On Verbal on the exam, even though on practice exams I would finish the section 10 mins ahead of time, I barely finished on time. Qstn 40 : Ihad to guess it in 30 secs and on 41 I just managed to click on a random option WITHOUT getting the time to click Submit/Next. The clock ran out on me.

First Attempt- I was behind time right away and probably left out /got wrong some pretty easy questions. Throughout the exam I was behind the clock. On Verbal though I cant say what went wrong. Perhaps I was over confident since I finished the verbal 10 mins ahead of time. This might have led to ignoring some of the right choices and settling on a "seemingly" right choice.

3) Extra Practice- I did put in extra hours of practice the second time by using Magoosh(primarily for DS) and GMAT Question Pack 1. The Question pack has good questions and allows you to practice under timed constraints on the computer.
Hi there,
many congratulations for your great score !

I took my test yesterday and got QA-44 and VA-34. Though I am not that good at verbal as you are but QA score has taken me aback. on my practice tests I always scored in the range of 47-50 in QA. VA has been my weakness and I've improved on it from 28ish to 34-35 :)

I am REALLY disappointed with my score and feel like the same way as you did on your first test score. I had set expectation to touch 700 mark and that could have been with qa-49/50 and va-35/36 I guess. :(

Reading your post has given some boost to my desire to reappear of which I am thinking since yesterday. Could you please help me with some tips and strategy for verbal.
(p.s. I've completed MGMAT SC twice, made my notes, have gone through gmatprepnow sc online material which I bought; for CR, I have read powerscore)

much appreciated

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NB1234 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:11 am
Jaya
I can see that you have had a big jump from 28 to 34 on your verbal. You are not that far off from achieving 40. Here are the things I would advice
1) Note down the question types in SC.The easiest ones fall in the range of Subject verb agreement and parallelism. MGMAT is good for getting the basics right about SC. However, you need to practice. Make a target, say, 25 SC questions per day. Each day, practice 25 questions. Then analyze each answer, even if it is right. The answer explanations for the SC questions in OG are pretty good. Once you read ALL answer explanations(including the ones you get right) you will feel confident in approaching new questions. Trust me on that.
2) Practice questions from a variety of sources. Get as many questions as you can. OG is the #1 resource for verbal so make sure you finish up ALL SC questions in OG, Verbal review and if possible the question pack1. You can try other providers as well, Magoosh is good with SC and they have an online portal so you would be practicing under timed conditions.
3) Make sure you get ALL(or as many as possible) questions right on RC. This is the lowest hanging fruit that people miss out on. All the information is there, you cant go wrong too much on these questions. I used to get may be 1 question wrong on my mocks or during timed practice on RC. All you need is mental stamina. So read a few passages a day from the economist and Scientific American. Most of the passages that I noticed were in the following categories
a) Biological facts/organisms and their behavior.
b) History of Womens rights in Europe and America.
c) Cosmological phenomenons, planet formations, stars.
d) Economic theory, labor movements etc.

If you find any article on any of these topic, read it as if you are sitting in a test and have to answer in next 2 mins. Read it with interest as if you have to narrate it to your friends and family about these facts. Once you read a few paras of each type you will feel confident in tackling these.

by jaya27 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:13 am
NB1234 wrote:Jaya
I can see that you have had a big jump from 28 to 34 on your verbal. You are not that far off from achieving 40. Here are the things I would advice
1) Note down the question types in SC.The easiest ones fall in the range of Subject verb agreement and parallelism. MGMAT is good for getting the basics right about SC. However, you need to practice. Make a target, say, 25 SC questions per day. Each day, practice 25 questions. Then analyze each answer, even if it is right. The answer explanations for the SC questions in OG are pretty good. Once you read ALL answer explanations(including the ones you get right) you will feel confident in approaching new questions. Trust me on that.
2) Practice questions from a variety of sources. Get as many questions as you can. OG is the #1 resource for verbal so make sure you finish up ALL SC questions in OG, Verbal review and if possible the question pack1. You can try other providers as well, Magoosh is good with SC and they have an online portal so you would be practicing under timed conditions.
3) Make sure you get ALL(or as many as possible) questions right on RC. This is the lowest hanging fruit that people miss out on. All the information is there, you cant go wrong too much on these questions. I used to get may be 1 question wrong on my mocks or during timed practice on RC. All you need is mental stamina. So read a few passages a day from the economist and Scientific American. Most of the passages that I noticed were in the following categories

If you find any article on any of these topic, read it as if you are sitting in a test and have to answer in next 2 mins. Read it with interest as if you have to narrate it to your friends and family about these facts. Once you read a few paras of each type you will feel confident in tackling these.
Thanks dear !
apart from this, did you also follow any particular approach for verbal/quant or both ? I mean, focus to get first 10-15 correct ?
thanks again for ur advice, will restart my studies soon.. :)

by NB1234 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:00 am
I didnt necessarily follow the first 10-15 question approach. I was pacing myself though. The idea is, towards the end of the exam you might be rushed so your judgement and time both might go against you in getting questions right. Im not very sure of how much research and evidence there is to get about this "first 10-15 questions right" approach. I know most of the people who talk about it dont provide details of how the rest of the questions went but folks who get a higher score get a good amount of questions right throughout.

Focus on a timed approach, remember to guess a question if you find that you are still reading the question and dont have a strategy to tackle it 2 mins after first seeing it.

by kumr20 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 am
Hi,

I really liked your debrief, a really motivating one indeed. Could you please share the reading strategy you followed for Reading comprehension?

Did you take any notes? Were skimming the passage the first time or you would read the entire passage thoroughly.

Thanks for you inputs and congratulations once again!
NB1234 wrote:Jaya

by NB1234 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm
Thanks Kumr20
I didnt take notes because that would present 2 sources of information to look at rather than 1. I would always read the complete Para first. First and foremost, read it as if you were reading it to gain the knowledge and not as if you were mugging for an exam. In other words read it as if you read something interesting and want to tell the gist to your near and dear ones. As you read the para start making mental notes of "where" the information is rather than "what" it is. So if the passage is talking about anatomy of an animal and the second para points out a unique characteristic about the eye, make a note in your mind, there is a potential here to ask a question. If the passage is about literary views of famous writers of an era, and para1 talks about one view point supported by 2 writers of the early century and para 2 points out 3 writers holding a different view point, make a note of it.
Once you get the gist of the passage after reading it, and before you read the questions, answer a question in your head. "What's the purpose of the passage". If you can answer this then you can start attacking the questions. If not, then most probably you would be re-reading the passage multiple times while going through the questions and thereby wasting valuable time. Your answer to the "gist" question that you asked yourself may differ from the actual "purpose of the passage" but as you practice you will notice that its pretty close to the actual intent.

When you read the questions you will notice that a good number of the questions will be of the type "According to the passage/author". Now you can go back to the "place" in the passage that denotes the "where" part of the information.

This of course would require practice. In my experience the RC passages in OG are of excellent quality. Go through all of them and then attack the ones in the verbal review. Also, read regularly, especially the Economist. They have a section about technology and science which offers new discoveries and has passages similar in content to the GMAT RC passages.

Remember one thing, whatever approach works for you, be sure to practice it as much as you can. You might find some things work for you(e.g. taking notes) and others don't but once you practice enough you will notice improvement. I promise :).

by jillgmat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 am
That stinks! You'll do great on it next time though, there is some great advice here. Interesting what Rich C said about taking 4 practice tests in a week is no bueno - I took a TON of practice tests, and while generally the strategy worked for me, I did find that one week after taking 5 tests my scores started going down. My dad said what Rich said - your brain is a muscle, it needs rest. So it could truly be about not getting sufficient "rest" and being fresh for the test!

I also find that there are 3 kinds of studying:
1) Concept studying/ memorizing
2) Testing
3) Reviewing

And I find that each of these tires me out in a different kind of way. I stuck with reviewing only in the last few days before the exam - you've already learned so many of the concepts, it's really useful to just remind yourself of what you know and come up with strategies to avoid mistakes.

Good luck!

by NB1234 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am
Thanks Jill. You're right. Too much of a good thing is also sometimes bad and same goes for too many practice tests.
But I think your post comes a little late since I took my exam on Oct 8th :).
Look for a post below.
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Or the new link,
https://www.beatthegmat.com/640-to-750-q ... 70455.html.