How about rating a question ?

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm
@osirus raises a good point about the ratings. i'm mostly worried about whether the ratings will be meaningful since many judgment calls would be required. also, not all questions are even necessarily a good gmat question and so don't even merit a rating.

in other user review sites like amazon or yelp where you rate how much you like items with 1-5 stars, the "wisdom of the crowds" is useful because each vote represents a personal opinion. so if i see that 500 people gave a restaurant 4 stars on yelp, then i'm pretty confident that the restaurant will be good.

but i don't think that the same logic applies to the difficulty rating for gmat practice questions. just because 500 people think that a problem is a 700+ question doesn't mean that the question is actually a 700+ question since less than 10% of test takers get over 700.

even if we said that only members who actually got 700+ on the gmat could rate questions, i don't think that these people would always be able to differentiate the 700+ questions from 600-700 questions.

imo it'd be best for a set of very experienced instructors to apply their best judgement to rate questions difficulty. but then this might not work because the experts may not have incentive/time to rate question difficulty.

please let me know what you think.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 pm
I thing rating should be on 5 point scale with 0.5 values allowed ..that will give users a wide range to rate the questions of the forum ....from 0 , 0.5,..... 5 . It can be done by making stars which are available on many photo websites..
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm
It would be great to have ratings. Especially if the questions are rated by the experts/moderators.

Also, I think it would be best to keep it simple <600, 600-700, 700>.

Cheers,

Vineet

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm
thanks vineet. we'll continue to think about it.