GMATPrep : Subordinate clause as subject

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:59 pm
GMATMadeEasy wrote:I have PMed Ron to put his comments on this.
heh. i'm probably the wrong guy to pm on this issue, since, in all honesty, i don't really know exactly what is a "subordinate clause" and what isn't.
in fact, i know very few grammatical terms, other than the basics (noun, verb, prepositional phrase, etc.). on these forums it may seem that i have more knowledge than that, but this is the case only because i'm on the internet -- i generally just look up the names of the terms before i post here, if i'm going to name them.
so that brings me to my first points:
(1) when you solve problems, do not be concerned with labels (such as "subordinate clause").
... and therefore,
(2) don't worry about labels at all unless they specifically help you understand.

the importance of not relying too much on labels cannot be overstated, since time management is so important on this exam.
here's the analogy that i give when i teach classes:
imagine the following two situations:
a) you are driving on a road. you see a red light in front of you. you realize that when you see that, you must stop. therefore, you stop.
b) you are driving on a road. you see a red light in front of you. you say to yourself, "hmm, what is that called?" you tell yourself that it's called a "circular red signal". then you ask yourself what is the significance of a "circular red signal". then you realize that its significance is that you must stop. therefore, you stop.

you can see why the second of these situations is definitely inferior to the first -- and, in a situation where time is of the essence, potentially disastrous.
the same is true for spending excessive effort putting labels on things in these sentences.
at best, the necessity of labeling grammatical elements should be temporary. once you get to the point where you can correctly classify them as correct or incorrect just by looking at them, you should completely STOP labeling them, so that you can have better time management.

--

analysis in next post.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:59 pm
here's an analysis of those sentences above:

1 * if a sentence starts with
studies have shown that...
X claimed that...
X believes that...
it has been said that...

etc.
then you can ignore these words completely in your grammatical analysis, and analyze the rest of the sentence as if it were alone.

i.e., you don't really have to worry about the idea of a "noun clause" in these sentences -- just chop off the opening part and analyze what's left.
as proof of this assertion, considering the fact that you can add the above openings to literally any sentence in the world:
you can chop off the opening part and analyze what's left.
--> it has been said that you can chop off the opening part and analyze what's left.
--> studies have shown that you can chop off the opening part and analyze what's left.
etc.

in these sentences, note that the words following "that" are COMPLETE SENTENCES in their own right. in your example, for instance, "snake meat keeps you warm in the winter" is a complete sentence.

--

on the other hand, in your second example, "that" is a PRONOUN, and so the words that follow in are NOT a complete sentence by themselves.
for instance,
here's the book that i bought today --> notice that "i bought today" is not a complete sentence (it's missing its object, which was taken care of by the pronoun that).
chinese cooks prepare snake-meat dishes that keep you warm in winter" --> notice that "keep you warm in winter" is not a complete sentence (it's missing its subject, which was taken care of by the pronoun that).

these are the ones that can't function as the subject of a sentence.

so here's the final takeaway, which is much simpler than all this stuff about noun clauses, subordinate clauses, and all that stuff:

1)
THAT + COMPLETE SENTENCE can be the subject of a sentence.

2)
THAT + NOT COMPLETE SENTENCE cannot be the subject of a sentence.

that's actually the only rule you need here!

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 am
Thanks Ron, it is noted :) .

Question from the original question : Option B uses "because it is genetically engineered" as subject.

So we stick to the rule that "coordinating/subordinating conjuction + clause" can not be a subject .

Thank you very much for your clear explanation as usual .

And another question for SC : Generally, I am confomrtable with SCs based on grammar and style up to high diffuclty level but consume more time and commit errors in SC questions playing with logic . Based on your experience, what could be the best remedy to follow .

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 am
lunarpower wrote:
GMATMadeEasy wrote:I have PMed Ron to put his comments on this.
heh. i'm probably the wrong guy to pm on this issue, since, in all honesty, i don't really know exactly what is a "subordinate clause" and what isn't.
in fact, i know very few grammatical terms, other than the basics (noun, verb, prepositional phrase, etc.). on these forums it may seem that i have more knowledge than that, but this is the case only because i'm on the internet -- i generally just look up the names of the terms before i post here, if i'm going to name them.
so that brings me to my first points:
(1) when you solve problems, do not be concerned with labels (such as "subordinate clause").
... and therefore,
(2) don't worry about labels at all unless they specifically help you understand.

the importance of not relying too much on labels cannot be overstated, since time management is so important on this exam.
here's the analogy that i give when i teach classes:
imagine the following two situations:
a) you are driving on a road. you see a red light in front of you. you realize that when you see that, you must stop. therefore, you stop.
b) you are driving on a road. you see a red light in front of you. you say to yourself, "hmm, what is that called?" you tell yourself that it's called a "circular red signal". then you ask yourself what is the significance of a "circular red signal". then you realize that its significance is that you must stop. therefore, you stop.

you can see why the second of these situations is definitely inferior to the first -- and, in a situation where time is of the essence, potentially disastrous.
the same is true for spending excessive effort putting labels on things in these sentences.
at best, the necessity of labeling grammatical elements should be temporary. once you get to the point where you can correctly classify them as correct or incorrect just by looking at them, you should completely STOP labeling them, so that you can have better time management.

--

analysis in next post.
Wow. I totally agree. This is the best piece of advice one can ever receive for GMAT SC. A million thanks.
scio me nihil scire

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:41 pm
niksworth wrote: Wow. I totally agree. This is the best piece of advice one can ever receive for GMAT SC. A million thanks.
thanks. good to see that the message is getting through.

it's too bad you can't actually give "a million thanks", else i would certainly have a lot more thanks than any other moderator on this board... haha

good luck

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron