Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:56 pm
i agree with the OAs.
4-C , 5 - B and 6-D.

took 8 minutes to solve for these 3 questions

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by fangtray » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm
DanaJ wrote:Q4. I agree with the OA here. The main purpose of Robertson's work is stated in the first paragraph: "British colonialism imposed European-style male-dominant notions upon more egalitarian local situations to the detriment of women generally". Her research also considers that specific point, whether or not the Empire imposed its own set of values on African society.

Q5. Again, I agree with the OA. Women in Ghana were more independent as compared to women in other African countries (see Kenya), so colonialism affected their lives the most, since they went from independent to legal minors.
E is incorrect, IMHO, because you have this phrase here: "In contrast with Ghana, where women had traded for hundreds of years and achieved legal majority (not unrelated phenomena), the evidence regarding central Kenya indicated that women were legal minors". You have that "contrast" right there that proves that E is incorrect.

Q6. I don't know about this one. IMHO it should be C, because that's what the passage does: compare one situation (Ghana) to another (Kenya). It is of course part of the argument about Robertson's revised attitude, but that's much more of a general thing, or macro level if you must... I wouldn't expect to see such an ambiguous question in the GMAT.
Dana, perhaps you could help me with Q4 as i got Q5 and Q6 correct. I think the hard part for me is the whether or not verbiage, indicating, that it was a or b, or in our case, age or gender. For example, when A and C see to be saying the same thing.

the author argues age mainly determined yadda yadda before colonialism. and after colonialism, gender mainly determined yadda yadda.... but subsequent research shows that 1. gender played an important role in some part of Africa BEFORE colonialism, or in OTHER words, 2. age was NOT the prevailing principle BEFORE colonialism.

or in OTHER OTHER words, C. but it seems those 2 other ways i listed above just rephrase C.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mparakala » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 am
i think the answer is

option A talks about "social organization"- thats not revised!

option B- talk about " social authority"
"Robertson revised her hypothesis somewhat, arguing that in determining authority in precolonial Africa age was a primary principle that superseded gender to varying degrees depending on the situation."

so, is correct!

by mparakala » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 am
q4: B

Q5: A

Q6: B

please let me know the answers!!
thank you:)

by rajeshsinghgmat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am
4 -->C

5 -->B

6 -->C

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm
after reading nytimes quickly, we have to slow down to read gmat passage. it take me a long time to answer this question

by Java_85 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 am
I just don't agree with the OA with the first question, I think it's C, B, E

by AnuragRatna » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 am
i agree with all the OA of this passage

by jaspreetsra » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:13 pm
B sounds good.

by binit » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:22 am
I got all correct: 4C, 5B, 6E. Time 6.19. I am happy to see that (I am/was scared of RCs).

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Asibilsky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:25 am
DanaJ wrote:Q4. I agree with the OA here. The main purpose of Robertson's work is stated in the first paragraph: "British colonialism imposed European-style male-dominant notions upon more egalitarian local situations to the detriment of women generally". Her research also considers that specific point, whether or not the Empire imposed its own set of values on African society.

Q5. Again, I agree with the OA. Women in Ghana were more independent as compared to women in other African countries (see Kenya), so colonialism affected their lives the most, since they went from independent to legal minors.
E is incorrect, IMHO, because you have this phrase here: "In contrast with Ghana, where women had traded for hundreds of years and achieved legal majority (not unrelated phenomena), the evidence regarding central Kenya indicated that women were legal minors". You have that "contrast" right there that proves that E is incorrect.

Q6. I don't know about this one. IMHO it should be C, because that's what the passage does: compare one situation (Ghana) to another (Kenya). It is of course part of the argument about Robertson's revised attitude, but that's much more of a general thing, or macro level if you must... I wouldn't expect to see such an ambiguous question in the GMAT.
I agree Q4=C, Q5=B

But for Q6 the question is much more specific than the lines it points you to in passage.

"The author of the passage mentions the status of age as a principle of social organization" means we can only consider answer choices which offer explanations which can be drawn from mentioning the age qualifier of authority.

This part: Before colonialism, gender was more salient in central Kenya thanit was in Ghana, although age was still crucial in determining authority.

Thus it must be A or C.

B - We recieve no further details to contrast their lives, only that age affected authority as well as gender.
D - Logical fallacy. You cannot mention something with the purpose of explaining it. Mutually exclusive.
E - The mention of age would be an explanation of why she missed it in the first place. Not a factor that led her to revise her hypothesis. It would be the opposite. The factor that led her to revise was the presence of Gender>age social status.

C - Incorrect due to question's phrasing. "Why did she mention age? to differentiate between precolonial status of K and G? No, because age is what they have in common. old women have power in both, young women only in ghana.

Answer to Q6 is A by elimination. Only arguable answer is B.

just my opinion.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Biji » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 am
4) B
5) A
6) E

whats the OA? Please provide

by Rahul428 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 am
My answers :
Q4 -- B