Full time v Part time to switch jobs, not careers?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Jan 2014
I have a unique situation in which I have pretty much only worked for small/medium sized businesses since I left college. As a result, the companies have very limited long term growth potential as I usually find myself working closely with the owner on projects before I start looking around for more pay and responsibility.

I am now looking into getting my MBA preferably from USC or UCLA as I would prefer to stay in the southern California area. I am struggling with whether or not I should keep my position and attend a part time program, forgo the lost salary, and try to switch jobs after completion (but before I have to start making large loan payments back to uncle sam).

I have been in various industries and have been in both sales and operations and would like to pursue something in a general management position for a larger company or enter in to management consulting.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? also, I will be footing the bill if I go part time as I have to keep it somewhat of a secret from my current employer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 pm
marblized2 wrote:I have a unique situation in which I have pretty much only worked for small/medium sized businesses since I left college. As a result, the companies have very limited long term growth potential as I usually find myself working closely with the owner on projects before I start looking around for more pay and responsibility.

I am now looking into getting my MBA preferably from USC or UCLA as I would prefer to stay in the southern California area. I am struggling with whether or not I should keep my position and attend a part time program, forgo the lost salary, and try to switch jobs after completion (but before I have to start making large loan payments back to uncle sam).

I have been in various industries and have been in both sales and operations and would like to pursue something in a general management position for a larger company or enter in to management consulting.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? also, I will be footing the bill if I go part time as I have to keep it somewhat of a secret from my current employer.
First off -- the idea you have to keep it a secret from your current employer suggests to me (without being too blunt) that it is time to find a new employer. Tell me more about this.

Secondly -- if you want to switch career paths, full time is the choice you should be considering. Others may disagree, but it is MUCH.. MUCH harder to make a career change out of a PT MBA degree.

Just my $0.02.

Best,

Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 pm
brianlange77 wrote:
marblized2 wrote:I have a unique situation in which I have pretty much only worked for small/medium sized businesses since I left college. As a result, the companies have very limited long term growth potential as I usually find myself working closely with the owner on projects before I start looking around for more pay and responsibility.

I am now looking into getting my MBA preferably from USC or UCLA as I would prefer to stay in the southern California area. I am struggling with whether or not I should keep my position and attend a part time program, forgo the lost salary, and try to switch jobs after completion (but before I have to start making large loan payments back to uncle sam).

I have been in various industries and have been in both sales and operations and would like to pursue something in a general management position for a larger company or enter in to management consulting.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? also, I will be footing the bill if I go part time as I have to keep it somewhat of a secret from my current employer.
First off -- the idea you have to keep it a secret from your current employer suggests to me (without being too blunt) that it is time to find a new employer. Tell me more about this.

Secondly -- if you want to switch career paths, full time is the choice you should be considering. Others may disagree, but it is MUCH.. MUCH harder to make a career change out of a PT MBA degree.

Just my $0.02.

Best,

Brian
Curious for an update -- what did you decide to do here?
Thanks!
-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 381
Joined: 19 Aug 2015
Thanked: 13 times
Followed by:7 members

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:52 pm
If you get into a top school like UCLA Anderson for the full time program, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and just do it. Opportunities like that are hard to find. Especially if you want to get out of working for small companies, the recruiting opportunities will be much different in the full time program than in the part time program. Go for it! I don't think you will end up regretting it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:54 pm
[email protected] wrote:If you get into a top school like UCLA Anderson for the full time program, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and just do it. Opportunities like that are hard to find. Especially if you want to get out of working for small companies, the recruiting opportunities will be much different in the full time program than in the part time program. Go for it! I don't think you will end up regretting it.
Generally, I tend to agree. There's obvious financial risk associated with enrolling in school full-time, but if you are ready for a big career shift, it's always easier coming out of a Top 25 full-time program where the recruiters 'come to you' versus out of a part-time program.
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)