From 540 to 710 to 720. For you who struggle at Math :)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am
Hi Zivi,

GREAT debrief.

Out of all of your wonderful words of advice, I'd like to highlight the ones I believe to be key to beating the GMAT.
zivi wrote: H. Lessons learned:

"¢Always remember that the questions can be solved in approximately 2 minutes. This means that the questions can never be heavy in terms of calculation. Even if they look scary, there has to be a shorter way to solve it. If you find yourself working on a question for more than 3 minutes, you know you're not doing it right. Be smart. Always avoid lengthy solutions.

"¢Practice guessing and letting go of questions in your mock tests. It may be tempting to hit the stop watch and spend more time, but in the real exam, you can't do that. If you learn to let go in the mocks, you'll find that guessing on the harder questions won't be stressful for you in during the exam.

"¢Remember to breathe deeply. Do it often during the exam and your nervousness will stop.

"¢Finally relax! Give the GMAT the respect it deserves. As you progress, you'll develop an appreciation for the questions and the test makers. Don't take things too seriously or you'll stress out. Nothing kills a good performance like stress.
Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:720

by zivi » Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 am
tejuscs wrote:Hi Zivi,
My situation is same as yours, so called the "rat brain" , i would like to know which are the books to be referred at the early stage of preparation ? As in to understand the basics thoroughly! and then may be as you said jump to the higher version. Which books do u suggest me to start with ! both quant and verbal......

Thanks
Tejus
Tejus,

For quant, I picked up Kaplan and MGMAT. I don't have any particular recommendations for verbal,but I thought the MGMAT books were pretty awesome

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sachinsonu » Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm
Congrats!! for the great score. I am weak in verbal section, particularly RC. How to cope up with RCs? I feel its becoz of poor understanding of RC, In how many days its possible to improve on RCs.

on CR I make mistakes on Assumption and Bold face questions, how to tackle the same.

one more questions: how many wrong answers we can afford on Verbal and still get a score of 40+. right now my score is hovering around 30 in verbal and 46-47 in quanta.

please guide me.

regds
sachin

Followed by:1 members

by sanaa.rizwan » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 am
Hi Zivi

Congratulations on your great score, That was an awesome job you did.

You post has been the most relatable post i have read so far, I seem to be in the same boat as you are, My exam is on 1st June and the practice test scores are ranging from 540 to 600. I am pretty much ready to give a 2nd attempt, I am having the same problem as you were, I struggle at Math, I have learnt the concepts but I am having difficulty applying them on GMAT question.

What advice can you give me, What should be the next step to do in order to prepare my mind to think like a GMAT test take. Currently I am using the MGMAT and the OG13 and the Quant Review

Again thanks for the post, After reading it I feel much better and I think that I still have hope

Sanaa

by zivi » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm
Hi Sachin,

My comments below:
How to cope up with RCs? I feel its becoz of poor understanding of RC, In how many days its possible to improve on RCs.

Here's the thing about RC passages. They don't test your knowledge of a field (history, political science or art) as much as they test your ability to follow the logical flow of a passage. So don't worry if, let's say you get a passage on French literature and you're an engineering guy. When you read passages, play attention to the structure. Look out for key words like however, therefore, furthermore, in conclusion etc. This will help you get the framework and basic understanding. Once you have that, you can always go back to certain sections for specific details that the question asks you.

So practice, practice and more practice! I took 2 days off and worked on nothing but RC and I saw my proficiency go up by a lot.
on CR I make mistakes on Assumption and Bold face questions, how to tackle the same.
Ah, my memories are rusty on this. Again, the CR is all about logic and very little to do with English. Usually you need to either strengthen your basics or do more practice. MGMAT and powerscore can help you here. I remember struggling a lot with the Assumption question, but once I understood how it fits into an argument, it started to click. Ron covers CR in his 'Thursdays with Ron' series.

one more questions: how many wrong answers we can afford on Verbal and still get a score of 40+. right now my score is hovering around 30 in verbal and 46-47 in quanta.
I don't know the exact number but to score above 40, the number of wrongs has to be very small. Don't worry about how many correct you need. Trust me, been there done that, it doesn't help. Think about how you can work on your weak areas and tackle any level they throw at you. After all, you can only get to 40+ by solving questions in the 700-800 level.

Good luck with it!
Zivi

by zivi » Fri May 24, 2013 10:41 pm
sanaa.rizwan wrote:Hi Zivi

Congratulations on your great score, That was an awesome job you did.

You post has been the most relatable post i have read so far, I seem to be in the same boat as you are, My exam is on 1st June and the practice test scores are ranging from 540 to 600. I am pretty much ready to give a 2nd attempt, I am having the same problem as you were, I struggle at Math, I have learnt the concepts but I am having difficulty applying them on GMAT question.

What advice can you give me, What should be the next step to do in order to prepare my mind to think like a GMAT test take. Currently I am using the MGMAT and the OG13 and the Quant Review

Again thanks for the post, After reading it I feel much better and I think that I still have hope

Sanaa
Hi Sanaa,

Have you considered postponing your exam by 1-2 months? It seems to me that you have some work to do on both Quant and Verbal sections. From my experience, I found that if I couldn't apply my concepts to a question, I probably didn't know my basics well enough to begin with. For this, I attacked Quant topic by topic. I practiced all kinds of questions I could find under Number properties/Geometry/CR or whatever topic that bothered me.

It took a lot of patience. But I worked on the questions everyday and didn't pay attention to my solving time. I only moved on to the next topic once I attained at least an 80% proficiency.The BTG forums helped a lot in providing ample good quality questions to practice. If you're stuck, take a break, move onto something else and come back later. But never give up on a question.

Good luck!
Zivi

by zivi » Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 pm
Hello everyone,

For those of you still reading, I wanted to let you know that my application journey has finally come to an end. After 3 GMAT attempts, 6 applications, 2 dings, 1 waitlist and 3 admits, I'll be matriculating at Chicago Booth this fall. I feel truly blessed to have come this far and I'm excited about my life ahead as a Boothie.

I couldn't have made it this far without you guys. Thank you to everyone who has helped along the way, Eric and the team, the GMAT experts,admission consultants and of course the larger BTG community, my fellow members. To have this kind of support all the way through is a great comfort and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :)

To those applying this year and after, I hope you will find it in you to go after what you want. I curled up into a ball at the sight of quant and yet I'm matriculating at Booth, one of the most quantitative programs around. Don't be afraid, just be strategic and persevere. It does happen!

I'm still going to be around, so feel free to post on this thread or elsewhere if you need my help.

All the best! Love you guys!

Zivi

by sachinsonu » Sat May 25, 2013 1:31 am
Congrats !! Again.. Also thanks for guiding me. you mentioned to read Economists to have an overall good understanding on GMAT Verbal. What are the things to look for while reading, also is there any other material to read which are exactly like GMAT and will be helpful for SC, RC and CR.

regds
sachin

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shafeeqrahaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:14 am
Hi Zivi,

Could tell which two MGMAT books did you buy for quant, because the following link consists of several but I cannot find which two you have bought.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/store.cfm

I am also on the same pace as you were.

by pareshcs » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:40 am
Hi Zivi,

Thanks for such a motivating debrief.

It's inspiring for a lot of guys who get terrified by maths.

Please let me know if you solved math problems from official materials only or from any other source

by Digbijoy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am
Aaaah at last, a post i can completely relate too :)
Zivi, ur story is truly inspiring.

I have already applied for GMAT last year and managed paltry 540. While Quant has been my bane, also I am a working professional which leaves with a little less time to practise besides I am confused how to start practicing right away!

Would you suggest MGMAT foundation of maths + online practise forums like magoosh? I want overcome my fear of maths, pls guide me as to how should I go about it?

Thanks in advance, :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 pm
Hi Digbijoy,

What were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal section when you scored 540?

Also, what resources did you use to study the first time around?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by zivi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm
Hi Digiboy,

Sorry, school's been hectic and I don't check in as often as I used to. I haven't tried Magoosh so I can't comment on that. But I will attest to MGMAT and it's great help to build concepts. Of course, you'll find that you also need to practice some problems once you go over the concepts. So, yes I think MGMAT is wonderful but not enough without a lot of practice.

I remember that my boss at work wasn't supportive about me doing my MBA, so I basically squeezed in practice time whenever I could. I would solve questions during my coffee break instead of chatting with my colleagues. I'd do CR and RC on the commute home. Towards the exam, I took a 2 week break to block out other distractions and do mock exams every single day. I hope that helps. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

by zivi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:53 pm
@Pareshcs

Yup, all of the practice I did was based on published text books (Kaplan, MGMAT, BTG and GMAT club sites). At the time, I didn't find the OG particularly useful so I only used it right in the beginning to get a feel for the GMAT.

by azad19 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 am
Hi Zivi, just read ur post..Its quiet similar to what has happened to u..
Same books..Same MGMAT cat score but my actual gmat its 550.
How i can improve. What mocks shall i actually give? Since doing MGMAT again will bounce me with few of the new question so m little worried about if they are true reflective of the scores.
Secondly what if i again scored low..
I am bit scared about to go again for Gmat.