faced with an estimated $2 billon

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TOPGMAT » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 am
Hi Guys,
Please read through the kaplan 800 verbal supplement.
Read through the imperfect options in sentence correction.
You will see lots of whacky questions and equally whacky
answer choices that are supposed to be correct :-)

Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day and you are a success - William Boetcker

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by akhileshtiwari » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 am
lunarpower wrote:
nileshdalvi wrote:Hi Ron,

If the touch rule does not strictly apply to "that", then why is it that in Q.40 in OG SC Diagnostic, "one of the Kirchoff's laws that" is incorrect because "That appears to refer to laws rather than one".

Is there any difference in the use of that in Q.50 and Q.40?
that, frankly, is one of the particular instances in which the OG answer key authors are just ... well ... wrong. ironically, they are wrong for reasons that they actually mention themselves (!) -- namely, because the verb is singular, we know that it can't go with "laws".

in my experience, some small but not totally insignificant percentage of the OG SC answer key comments are ... wrong. i'd say a couple percent.
the questions are essentially flawless, but many of the answer keys are (a) wrong, in the worst cases, or (b) missing extremely important elements of the problem -- things that the problem's actual author never would have left out of an explanation.
i.e., it's very easy to tell that the answer keys aren't written by the same people who write the questions (and that the people who write the questions are more talented than the people who write the answer keys! ... better than the other way around, for sure)

the OG is still an excellent resource, all things considered. but it's not perfect.
If the OG explanation is wrong in case of option (E), then Could you please tell me what is the right explanation for (E) being wrong.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TOPGMAT » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:51 am
Here is how I eliminated...
e) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

There are multiple errors in this statement.
"reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year" is awkward.
you can't reduce from previous year. You can reduce by nearly 17 percent what was allocated previous year.

maintaining is a participle while subsidization is a noun.
hence they are not parallel.
Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day and you are a success - William Boetcker

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm
If the OG explanation is wrong in case of option (E), then Could you please tell me what is the right explanation for (E) being wrong.
the one thing i see that's easiest to summarize in (e) is verb tense. that choice says that the law "was" an observation about electric current. that's incorrect; the law is such an observation, and will be forever and ever. for such timeless facts, the present tense is used.
another example:
medieval doctors were the first to discover that blood circulated through the body --> incorrect; this implies that blood no longer circulates in this way
medieval doctors were the first to discover that blood circulates through the body --> correct

--

also, there's the way in which essential modifiers (here, "that...") are used: they must narrow the scope of whatever they modify. i.e., they can't give a description of something already inherent.
for instance, an alligator that is a reptile.... is nonsense, because all alligators are reptiles -- i.e.. this modifier doesn't narrow the word "alligator", so an essential modifier is inappropriate. (an appositive -- an alligator, a reptile that... -- would be fine.)

so, here, the modifier is inappropriate because it is not narrowing "one of kirchhoff's laws"; the modifier is giving a complete characterization of that law.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sushil_lakra » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 am
tetura84 wrote:Let's give it a try.
A vs C
The city mayor proposed ONLY ONE thing.
17% reduction in the amount.
This reduction will do two things.
to maintain .... and to subsidize ....

It is not that mayor proposed two things,
to reduce .... and to maintain

also, in C, I have issue with COMMA + by nearly 17 percent + COMMA
Is it acting like an appositive?
If yes, it is modifying reduce. But it is wrong, it should modify the amount.
But I need experts comment here.
This doesn't seem right,
to maintain and to subsidize aren't parallel, cause the sentence says -
proposal was to reduce the amount that was allocated to maintain the institutions

if to maintain and to subsidize are parallel then here's how it would sound
proposal was to reduce the amount that was allocated to maintain the institution and reduce the amount allocated to subsidize the local arts group.

doesn't it seem incorrect.

I feel rather to reduce and to subsidize need be parallel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm
sushil_lakra wrote:if to maintain and to subsidize are parallel then here's how it would sound
proposal was to reduce the amount that was allocated to maintain the institution and reduce the amount allocated to subsidize the local arts group.
doesn't it seem incorrect.
that is precisely the intended meaning of the sentence. what seems incorrect about it to you?
I feel rather to reduce and to subsidize need be parallel.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
the problem with this interpretation is that it doesn't make sense in context.
you are proposing the following parallel structure: "faced with a sizable budget gap, the mayor decided to ______ AND ______". for this structure to make sense, both blanks need to be filled in with actions that would be logical reactions to a budget gap.
the problem, then, is that, while your first action (reducing a certain part of the budget) makes sense in this context, the second action (subsidizing something else) doesn't.
if the sentence were to be written in the way you're thinking, it couldn't be written with "AND" for this reason. instead, it would have to be written with some sort of transition that would point out this opposite relationship: something like
faced with a sizable budget gap, the mayor decided to reduce xxxxxx but nevertheless to subsidize xxxxxx
there are no options like this, so you can't use your interpretation.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:27 am
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.
(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize - Correct
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and for subsidizing - Misplaced modifier from the previous year. Parallelism issue between 2 tasks to maintain and for subsidizing
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize - Parallelism issue as in B, Misplaced mod by nearly 17 percent and from the previous year
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions, and to subsidize - Misplaced modifier from the previous year. Parallelism issue for maintaining and to subsidize
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions and for the subsidization - they has no referent. Misplaced mod from the previous year. For maintaining isn't parallel to for subsidization.