Eagles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 am
Thanks for the post, but I am still not very clear on this.

I think its time to move on to other areas which need more attention...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 am
imskpwr wrote:Thanks Mitch Sir, for the detailed analysis of "it".
GMATGuruNY wrote:The only viable referent for it is Scotland, but the implied meaning makes no sense: SCOTLAND did not bring to 34 the number wild birds successfully raised. Hence we can eliminate C and D.
I have one doubt,"Scotland" is Object of the Prepositional Phrase "in the western Scotland". Is it possible that an Object of Preposition can act as antecedent to a pronoun?
If true can you give some examples also.
The antecedent of a pronoun can be the object of a preposition. Consider SC44 in the OG12:

The plot of The Bostonians centers on the rivalry that develops between OLIVE CHANCELLOR, an active feminist, and BASIL RANSOM, her charming and cynical cousin, when THEY find themselves drawn to the same radiant young WOMAN whose talent for public speaking has won HER an ardent following.

In the OA, they (subject pronoun) refers to Oliver Chancellor and Basil Ransom (both objects of the preposition between); her (object pronoun) refers to woman (object of the preposition to).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:Thanks Mitch Sir, for the detailed analysis of "it".
GMATGuruNY wrote:The only viable referent for it is Scotland, but the implied meaning makes no sense: SCOTLAND did not bring to 34 the number wild birds successfully raised. Hence we can eliminate C and D.
I have one doubt,"Scotland" is Object of the Prepositional Phrase "in the western Scotland". Is it possible that an Object of Preposition can act as antecedent to a pronoun?
If true can you give some examples also.
The antecedent of a pronoun can be the object of a preposition. Consider SC44 in the OG12:

The plot of The Bostonians centers on the rivalry that develops between OLIVE CHANCELLOR, an active feminist, and BASIL RANSOM, her charming and cynical cousin, when THEY find themselves drawn to the same radiant young WOMAN whose talent for public speaking has won HER an ardent following.

In the OA, they (subject pronoun) refers to Oliver Chancellor and Basil Ransom (both objects of the preposition between); her (object pronoun) refers to woman (object of the preposition to).
Thanks Mitch sir,