Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfe

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Each of Hemingway's wives-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

(A) Each of Hemingway's wives-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-were strong and interesting women,

(B) Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-each of them Hemingway's wives-were strong and interesting women,

(C) Hemingway's wives-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-were all strong and interesting women,

(D) Strong and interesting women-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-each a wife of Hemingway, was

(E) Strong and interesting women-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-every one of Hemingway's wives were

OA: C

P.S: I got this one right but would like to know how HIS in the non-underlined part refers to the Hemingway's ? HIS should directly refer ONLY to Hemingway (a SINGLE NOUN entity-MALE) NOT to Hemingway's , I guess!.
@ Experts - can you please shed light on this aspect ? Also, could you please provide any other instances of Official Questions where such usage is visible ? Much thanks in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:550

by vikrambansal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm
I got this one right.

Each of Hemingway's wives-Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh-were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

My reasoning is as follows:

(A) was should be used in place of were

(B) each of them Hemingway's wives is not making sense

(C) Plural noun wives + were seems correct

(D) each a wife of Hemingway is not making sense

(E) every one of Hemingway's wives were is not making sense

Even I have the same question as RBBmba@2014 has.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:59 pm
P.S: I got this one right but would like to know how HIS in the non-underlined part refers to the Hemingway's ? HIS should directly refer ONLY to Hemingway (a SINGLE NOUN entity-MALE) NOT to Hemingway's , I guess!.
Are you asking if a possessive pronoun, such as "his," can have a possessive noun as an antecedent? Sure.

Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Here, "her" refers to "Emily Dickinson's."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course