Diver

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
sana.noor wrote:Sentences with subjunctive mood have the following structure regardless of the subject

that + the infinitive form of the verb without 'to'.

You can not choose C because "Difference in" is the wrong idiom. you can use "will" because the two sentences are joined by "or".
isn't "would" required to show a subjunctive mood here?
Hi imskpwr,

This isn't the subjunctive, it's the future conditional.
I don't understand the difference between "will" and "would" in the context of this q.
I believe that "would" is required.
More explanation in the context of this q will be highly useful.

Followed by:2 members

by Mission2012 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am
"Would" is required for Hypothetical Subjunctive not for Command Subjunctive.

If he played the match, THEN India would win. (Hypothetical Subjunctive)

It is essential that he play for India (command Subjunctive)

I hope that helps.

imskpwr wrote:
sana.noor wrote:Sentences with subjunctive mood have the following structure regardless of the subject

You can not choose C because "Difference in" is the wrong idiom. you can use "will" because the two sentences are joined by "or".
If you find my post useful -> please click on "Thanks"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:00 pm
imskpwr wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
imskpwr wrote:

Hi imskpwr,

This isn't the subjunctive, it's the future conditional.
I don't understand the difference between "will" and "would" in the context of this q.
I believe that "would" is required.
More explanation in the context of this q will be highly useful.
"If the diver were to ascend to quickly, he would suffer the bends" is the unreal conditional, meaning you do not think this is likely to occur. "If a diver ascends to quickly, he will suffer the bends" is the future conditional, meaning you do think this is likely to occur. Both are grammatically correct, so the only reason to require "will" over "would" is context clues from elsewhere in the sentence indicating that this outcome is unexpected. Since we find none, "will" is fine.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm
i am 101% sure that
differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, is wrong as "difference in" is the wrong idiom
and 102% sure that it is a command subjunctive "it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly" and once must use ascend not ascends (which is indicative)

Kapteachereli how come this sentence a future conditional, i read that command subjunctive can take the format "it is X" "it is essential" according to Manhattan gmat books:

"the Command Subjunctive is possible with It is X in which X is an adjective, such as
essential, that conveys urgency. It is X is not commonly tested on the GMAT.
Right: It is essential THAT Gary BE ready before noon.
Other adjectives conveying urgency include advisable, crucial desirable, fitting, imperative,
important, mandatory; necessary,preferable, urgent, and vital. Note also that you can use an
infinitive in these constructions: it is essential for Gary to be ready before noon.

and yes would is require for hypothetical subjunctive not for command subjunctive.

i have read somewhere that:
"the thing is that the two sentences are joined by "OR" the sentence before "or" is command subjunctive which shows that it is essential that driver ascend slowly and the sentence after or shows the affect if driver do not obey that command he will suffer" is this right? i want an expert to comment on this issue.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 pm
sana.noor wrote:i am 101% sure that
differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, is wrong as "difference in" is the wrong idiom
and 102% sure that it is a command subjunctive "it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly" and once must use ascend not ascends (which is indicative)

Kapteachereli how come this sentence a future conditional, i read that command subjunctive can take the format "it is X" "it is essential" according to Manhattan gmat books:

"the Command Subjunctive is possible with It is X in which X is an adjective, such as
essential, that conveys urgency. It is X is not commonly tested on the GMAT.
Right: It is essential THAT Gary BE ready before noon.
Other adjectives conveying urgency include advisable, crucial desirable, fitting, imperative,
important, mandatory; necessary,preferable, urgent, and vital. Note also that you can use an
infinitive in these constructions: it is essential for Gary to be ready before noon.

and yes would is require for hypothetical subjunctive not for command subjunctive.

i have read somewhere that:
"the thing is that the two sentences are joined by "OR" the sentence before "or" is command subjunctive which shows that it is essential that driver ascend slowly and the sentence after or shows the affect if driver do not obey that command he will suffer" is this right? i want an expert to comment on this issue.
Hi sana,

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're asking for?
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 am
i am just asking how it is future conditional??
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 am
sana.noor wrote:i am just asking how it is future conditional??
It's future conditional because it is an if-then statement the author thinks is a realistic possibility for the future.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by imskpwr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 am
imskpwr wrote:Because of differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they will suffer a painful condition known as the "bends."

differences in the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or they

the difference between the human body's internal pressure and the ocean's, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

the difference in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascends slowly or he

differences in the human body's internal pressure and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or they

the difference between the internal pressure of the human body and that of the ocean, it is essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly or he
I have no idea about what to chose.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 am
C: Because of the difference in THE HUMAN BODY'S INTERNAL PRESSURE AND THAT OF THE OCEAN.
Note the idiom usage: the difference IN.
Here, the SAME difference is found IN the human body's internal pressure AND IN the internal pressure of the ocean.
In other words, these two types of internal pressure are both different -- in the SAME way -- from OTHER types of internal pressure.
Since the intended meaning is that these two types of pressure are different FROM EACH OTHER, eliminate C.

It is essential that + subject + verb.
Here, the action expressed by the verb is HYPOTHETICAL.
While the action is considered ESSENTIAL, there is no guarantee that it actually will happen.
To convey the hypothetical nature of the action, we use the BARE INFINITIVE: the infinitive form of the verb with the to omitted.
The bare infinitive of to ascend is ASCEND.
It is essential that a diver ASCEND slowly.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by imskpwr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:C: Because of the difference in THE HUMAN BODY'S INTERNAL PRESSURE AND THAT OF THE OCEAN.
Note the idiom usage: the difference IN.
Here, the SAME difference is found IN the human body's internal pressure AND IN the internal pressure of the ocean.
In other words, these two types of internal pressure are both different -- in the SAME way -- from OTHER types of internal pressure.
Since the intended meaning is that these two types of pressure are different FROM EACH OTHER, eliminate C.

It is essential that + subject + verb.
Here, the action expressed by the verb is HYPOTHETICAL.
While the action is considered ESSENTIAL, there is no guarantee that it actually will happen.
To convey the hypothetical nature of the action, we use the BARE INFINITIVE: the infinitive form of the verb with the to omitted.
The bare infinitive of to ascend is ASCEND.
It is essential that a diver ASCEND slowly.
Sir, I have no doubt in choosing "Ascend". It can only be "ascend" here. My doubt is regarding the usage of "will" in the non-underlined part.
I feel that "would" would be more accurate at that position.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:31 am
imskpwr wrote:
Sir, I have no doubt in choosing "Ascend". It can only be "ascend" here. My doubt is regarding the usage of "will" in the non-underlined part.
It IS essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly, or he WILL suffer a painful condition known as the "bends".
Implied meaning:
It is essential hat a diver ascend slowly.
If this CONDITION is not met -- if a diver DOES NOT ascend slowly -- he WILL suffer a painful condition known as the "bends".

It would be inappropriate to use would here.
To discuss what WILL happen if a certain CONDITION is not met, we use WILL (future conditional).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by imskpwr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
It IS essential that a diver returning to the surface ascend slowly, or he WILL suffer a painful condition known as the "bends".
Implied meaning:
If this CONDITION is not met -- if a diver DOES NOT ascend slowly -- he WILL suffer a painful condition known as the "bends".

To discuss what WILL happen if a certain CONDITION is not met, we use WILL (future conditional).
That's true. Totally agreed. But where can I use "would" in "Conditionals".
I agree it is not correct to use "would" in this sentence. But "would" is also "conditional".
How is Future conditional different from Subjunctive mood?

by imskpwr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 am
imskpwr wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
Implied meaning:

That's true. Totally agreed. But where can I use "would" in "Conditionals".
I agree it is not correct to use "would" in this sentence. But "would" is also "conditional".
How is Future conditional different from Subjunctive mood?
It's clear now.
Thanks to both ELI and MITCH !