CR-OG - 203 - In Physics journals ..particle accelerators..

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:22 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMAT CRs and OAs do exhibit discernible patterns.
I'm not trying to say that there are no patterns. Rather, what I'm trying to say is that whatever "patterns" do exist ...
... are suffused with exceptions, caveats, and limitations;
... are very remote and difficult to understand when expressed as generalities;
and, most importantly,
... are generally easy to understand with everyday common sense, and much harder to grasp when phrased as "rules".

For example:
To attack a causal conclusion, one can show that while the cause occurs the effect does not

--> I mean, ok, maybe I am just stink at reading English, but, at a glance, this sentence is completely unintelligible to me. To make any sense of it, I have to stare at it for at least 1-2 minutes and read it at least 5-6 times, because it's so abstract, remote, and confusing... and that's not even counting the additional time I'd need to try to apply it to problems.

--> On the other hand, in practice -- i.e., in specific situations -- this "pattern" is so simple that, given the right context, even a 6-year-old will have no trouble understanding it. (A 6-year-old boy hopes that cardinals will visit his backyard if he puts seeds on the ground. He puts seeds on the ground. No cardinals show up. He learns that he was wrong.) In fact, I'll raise the ante: even lab rats can understand it. (Rat presses lever repeatedly, hoping for cheese. Cheese does not come. Rat eventually learns that its original idea was wrong.)
Clearly, neither a 6-year-old nor a lab rat could crack open the OG and start solving CR problems -- but not for lack of "patterns". The problems are beyond the ken of these critters only because (a) the dense written language is incomprehensible to them, and/or (b) the situations described in the passages (e.g., trade embargoes, per-capita statistics, economic recessions) are beyond the level of what a 6-year-old or a rat can reasonably understand.

In fact -- with the exception of "patterns" involving things that are inherently too abstract for a small child's understanding, like per-capita statistics -- I'm pretty confident that, for just about any CR "pattern" that someone might try to describe, I can give an example that would be quite accessible to a second-grader.
But, once they're generalized into "patterns", extremely intelligent adults suddenly have to study them for hundreds of hours. Hmm.

Of course, if business was slow and I wanted to talk people into signing up for a hundred hours of tutoring, then I might start talking a good game about patterns. Luckily, business is not slow, so I can just tell the truth instead.
(:

In fact, if anyone DOES have "patterns" that can solve even a small fraction of CR problems, then that person should go ahead and contact the major U.S. intelligence agencies right now!!, because (s)he would be holding no less than the key to artificial intelligence. Those "patterns" would be worth literally billions, maybe even trillions, of dollars.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I've seen many students raise their level of accuracy by learning to recognize these patterns.
I've seen that happen, too, but almost always on practice tests. Unfortunately, these students are usually the same ones who get verbal scores of, say, 35, 33, 36, 32, 37 on our CATs or the gmat prep tests, but then walk into the test center and throw down a verbal score in the mid-20s (and whose painful experiences are legion here on the forum).
The problem is that practice tests are, almost without exception, modeled closely on OG and GMAT Prep items -- and so are the prep materials! So, sure, on practice tests, you'll get artificially familiar-looking "patterns". Often, you'll get practice-test problems that are little more than carbon copies of OG problems, with only a few specific nouns changed here and there.

By contrast, my students whose official verbal scores have been higher than the corresponding practice-test marks have, essentially without exception, learned to think about each individual situation in the CR and RC problems, and not to waste their time and cloud their judgment with "rules"/"patterns" that are at best crude simulacra of their own normal thought processes.

In any case, that's enough of this discussion, since it's unlikely to head anywhere other than in circles at this point.
But, empirically speaking ... Of my students who have insisted on the "patterns" approach to CR, literally 100% scored worse on CR after studying than before. Every single one.
Of course, my experience is mine, and others' experience is theirs, and that's that -- but those are some seriously convincing data.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

David@VeritasPrep wrote:I do not know why people want to make things more complicated!
Amen brother! Witness!
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Success in critical reasoning is not about memorizing rules, but about understanding arguments.

What I teach on critical reasoning is focus.
Sing it!

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I don't think that anyone is suggesting the memorization of abstract rules (or the need for hundreds of hours of tutoring).
But recognizing similarities among actual CRs, understanding how the GMAT tends to strengthen and weaken different types of arguments -- this can be beneficial.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by feedrom » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Wow, look at that! The wrangling among GMAT Tigers! That contributes great posts ever!
Please wrangle more, do not stop! :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ozlemmetje » Thu May 08, 2014 10:42 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello,

I really try to understand but I think I fail.

I picked answer choice B, bc I thought if these accelerators can be used for more than one group of experiments then the lack of these accelerators cannot be seen as a reason for the decline of these articles.

Can you pls tell me what's wrong with my way of thinking?

Thanks
codesnooker wrote:This is a cause and effect type question. In such questions, you need to find the alternative cause that has actually turned out the effect.

So, if we look at the question,

Our facts (premises) are:-

1. In current year, the number of articles on PA is decreased.
2. The availability of PAs to RI were also decreased due to repairing work.

Conclusion:

1. The decrease in the number of articles was due to non-availability of PAs.

Now as I stated in my previous post, you are not suppose to challenge the facts. You need to find the answer that clearly overrides the conclusion without touching the facts given in the argument.

If you look at choice (B),

(B) The average time scientists must wait for access to a particle accelerator has declined over the last several years.

It states that average time of availability of PA to scientists has been decreased, which indirectly means that this year availability of PAs has been increased. It clearly challenge our stated fact (2), which is unacceptable in CR questions. Also according to it, the number of articles should be increased as PAs are easily available. This again challenges the fact (1). Hence, though no matter how promising this choices looks to you but it is certainly wrong. This is GMAT trap.

Now look at choice (E)
(E) Recent changes in the editorial policies of several physics journals have decreased the likelihood that articles concerning particle-accelerator research will be accepted for publication.

It give you an alternative cause of declining of the number of articles (fact 1) and it does not touches or negate any of the facts stated above.
Also we are talking about the number of articles published this year. Hence recent changes means the changes done this year that could affect the number of articles publication. So there is no timing problem with this choice.

Hope it clear to you now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri May 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

ozlemmetje wrote:Hello,

I really try to understand but I think I fail.

I picked answer choice B, bc I thought if these accelerators can be used for more than one group of experiments then the lack of these accelerators cannot be seen as a reason for the decline of these articles.

Can you pls tell me what's wrong with my way of thinking?
I suppose you meant D.

The problem with D is that it doesn't address the essence of the problem, which is the difference between this year and previous years.

As stated, D is something that is true for accelerators in general-and that thus has always been true, both in previous years and now. So, it can't explain a difference between this year and previous years.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Kamal2014 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:46 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi
This is the probable reason why B is wrong:
It says that the average time the scientists have to wait to access the accelerator has reduced. The statement is very vague about the it is whether the time between two people using the accelerators for experimenting or between a repair session and an experimental session. And even if there is enough evidence that it is saying that its the time duration between a repair and the experiment,it strengthens the author's argument rather than weakening it. And we also don't know about how much part of the year were the accelerators available for experimentation after the completion of repairs. So there is no way we can conclude anything from this statement. Hope this helps.