Comma Splice

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:25 am
Choice B should not be answer as the statement should connect with keywords like reason or since or because .

B is definitely concise but it is not connecting the reason of unclear relationship.

so that it can tell why relationship is not clear.

I think we should go with E.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by binit » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:35 am
OA: B.

B gives enough reason after the semicolon, I don't think it is required to explicitly mention 'the reason is.. '

Consider this: I was undecided about the trip; (the reason was) I could accept the offer or just forget it.
E can be safely said wordy, I guess.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Rahul428 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm
My answer - D

by deepak4mba » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:53 pm

by Akrita@Jamboree » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 am
SmarpanGamt wrote:The relationship between cell phone use and the incidence of brain tumors is still unclear, this is because some studies show a causal relationship while others do not.

is still unclear, this is because some studies show
is still unclear; some studies show
are still unclear because some studies show
is still unclear because: some studies show
is still unclear; the reason is that some studies show

The first option solves the problem of comma splice by introduction of conjuction. Please explain Y this choice is incorrect. Also explain your bet.
I am happy to help.

Firstly, let us look at how we can connect 2 independent sentences - i.e., sentences that have an independent noun + an independent verb and that can be read on their own. There are 2 main ways to do this grammatically -

1. Semi Colon[;]/ Dash[-]/ Colon[:]/ Full stop[.] (Note that the difference in their semantic usage, i.e., when one form of the punctuation is more appropriate than the other is something that is not tested on the GMAT) - John eats (sentence 1); Sam drinks (sentence 2)

2. Comma [optional]+ Conjunction (and, or, but, because, since, although, etc.) - John eats (sentence 1) and/or/but/although.. Sam drinks (sentence 2).

Additionally, we cannot connect 2 independent sentences using a simple comma - this creates a Run-on sentence. This is exactly what option A is guilty of when it introduces the clause starting with "this is" - if this clause weren't there, and the sentence read "The relationship between cell phone use and the incidence of brain tumors is still unclear, because some studies show a causal relationship while others do not. ", then option A would have been correct, albeit a bit wordy due to the presence of a redundant "because of".

Let us go through the other options -

B. is still unclear; some studies show - perfect and concise. Follows rule #1 grammatically

C. are still unclear because some studies show - 'the relationship' is singular

D. is still unclear because: some studies show - After "because", we need a complete clause before the colon

E. is still unclear; the reason is that some studies show - Unnecessarily wordy and redundant, since the semi-colon basically gives a reason (in this construction) as to why the relationship is unclear

Hence, B is the best answer.