Basic needs of a cat

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:37 pm
Another "general statement" as requested by A.Kiran. Nope, that's not the pattern. There is not a subject+verb setup after the colon in A or C.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by A.Kiran » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:32 pm
got it.

Thanks for that.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 am
To deal with the sentence successfully you first need to consider its meaning. The sentence lists five items, four of which support the claim that cats' needs are "simple and largely inexpensive." You know that the fifth item, the trips to the vet, aren't part of this list and shouldn't be parallel with it because, first, the and before shelter suggests that the initial list ends with shelter and, second, trips to the vet are not inexpensive. Therefore, the final item needs to be expressed as an exception. Eliminate (1). At this point, the primary problem is one of expression. Veterinarian visits, while shorter, is less clear and idiomatic than visits to the veterinarian. Out with (2). As for (4), we have a dangling modifier: who is occasionally visiting the vet? Eliminate. Finally, (5) is a passive and much wordier option than (3). (3) it is.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)