Ask MBA Crystal Ball

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 am
Sawanda wrote: Hi Sameer,

Thanks for the inputs. I am in the process of working on portraying my strengths in the best way I can so as to make myself stand out.

I would be happy to share my GMAT Prep strategy on your blog. Please let me know how to do so.

Regards,
Sawan
Drop me an email on info at mbacrystalball dot com and we'll take it from there, buddy.

Let's get you under the gentle limelight first, so you are prepared to face the blinding paparazzi flashlights after your MBA.
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by arni » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 pm
Hi Sameer,

Can you please go through my profile and comment on how realistic to apply for a 2 year courses now considering my age and experience?

Profile: M / 32 / India

I am a project manager in one of the fastest growing IT service companies of India. I manage multiple projects - starting from project initiation to resource scheduling, cost-budgeting, people management - and also involve in pre-sales activities.

Past Exp: * Engineering Grad,
* 3.1 GPA score,
* Total experience of 9 years - includes program management, IT consulting
* International experience of 5.5 years - largest telecom service provider in US

GMAT:

To appear. Considering I am from the overrepresented pool of applicants what could be a safe score to apply for the schools I have listed below. I looked at the avg gmat score of the class profiles of the schools. Do you think score of 720+ is a safe call?

Plan:

I realize that I'm getting streamlined to a specific direction in my career - that is IT Consulting. It feels like stagnation at career. After talking to peers, higher-ups, people from other service industries I realize that I require to hone up and diversify my profile in generic consulting and strategy. Now, this could be done by attending external courses. I talked to correspondents of such courses provided by external sources tied up with my organizations. I was not too convinced on that. I realize that I can achieve it over a period of time through a learning experience - though it could be a tough one after eight years of study break, but I think mba program is a great fit to achieve this.

My age and my overrepresented pool push me in a very competitive position but I certainly want to know in details about my chances in the schools listed below:

Target Schools:

US:

1. Kellog
2. Duke
3. Darden
4. Ross
5. Tuck
6. UNC Kenan-Flagler

Europe:

1. Insead
2. Said
3. IMD
4. Cranfield

MBA MAP Testimonial

by MBACrystalBall » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:56 am
Shreya Kundu on the MBA MAP

MCB's MAP was an eye opener for me too. It gave a me a lot of insight about the process of how a B school would like to select its future candidate.

Sameer's feedback on the interview was very candid which has given me a lot of confidence and the know how to start with the application and essay writing process. What I liked the most was the proactiveness with which Sameer did the entire process. I am glad that I went through the process because now I feel more equipped.
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:00 am
arni wrote:Hi Sameer,

Can you please go through my profile and comment on how realistic to apply for a 2 year courses now considering my age and experience?

Profile: M / 32 / India
Hey Arni,

Age can be a factor in two areas:

- Fitting in

In a two year program, most of your classmates would have around 4-5 years of work-experience. You'd have close to twice that number of years under your belt. They might be planning for the next adventure sports outing while you (and wifey dear) might be hunting for the cheapest baby diapers in the neverending aisles of the local supermarket. Exaggerating, but you get the point.

- Getting a post MBA-job

This is a bigger challenge. When the recruiters come hunting to campus looking for younger folks willing to join at lower designations and salaries, and they get a seasoned, mature candidate with far more experience, even if you'd be willing to work at the same designation/salary, employers might still have the nagging feeling (justified or otherwise) that you may not fit into that role.

A lot would depend on what post-MBA career option you choose, how you link this to what you've done and how an MBA will help. From what you've described, seems like you already started working on your storyline and have the basic framework in place. The key will be to put all that in your essays and display allow the Adcoms to see the mature and seasoned professional jump out.

In terms of your school choice, it's good that you have included 1-year and 2-year programs in the list. I'd have liked to see a higher proportion of 1-yr programs. Also in terms of difficulty level, your European school mix looks better than the US mix.

720+ would be a good target. When are you taking the GMAT?
Watch these MBA videos

by akbrahma » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:34 am
A Evaluation of my profile:

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

a) By Sept 2012, I will be having a work Experience of around 50 months (4y+)
b) I am working in an Engineering and Construction Company. I have worked for over 2 years at Delhi Airport Project in the Division which was responsible for Construction of Runway and Associate Works valued at over INR 20 Billion.
c) Primary Responsibilities included Procurement of Materials, Sub Contractor Management and Contract Administering
d) I was involved in Business Development for my Previous Company for over an year in Highway Projects and involved in all aspects related to Project Cost Estimations
e) Currently, I am involved in the Project Management Team based in Head Office for a INR 15,000 Million Road Project. I am primarily responsible for all issues related to Project Cost Estimation and Quantification of the Works involved.

2) Your GMAT.
I am yet to give my GMAT. My score in the 2 Mocks Tests of GMAC was 740 and 750 (Q-49, V-42). I am expecting a score in the same range. I will be giving it on Aug 18th.

3) College info:
College: NIT Hamirpur
Major: Civil Engineering
GPA: 7.95 on a scale of 10.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
a) Currently Volunteering with South Asia Foundation wherein I am assisting a group of people in an Urban Village in obtaining Credit facilities from Banks and forming Self Help Groups.
b) Highly Involved in College Alumni Affairs
c) Held Various Responsibilities in College in organisation of College Level Fests and events during the entire tenure of the College
d) Elected Placement Coordinator for my Department.
e) Member of a Photography Club and have been involved in organization of Photo walks across the City
f) Tutored 2 Poor Kids in 2009-2010 for their High School Exams

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
None

6) Your target programs.
I am highly interested in moving to Management Consultancy post MBA and prefer to apply to schools where the Big Consultant recruit. I am currently planning to apply for the following schools
ISB
Harvard
Chicago Booth
Tuck
Darden

by ojasp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm
Hey Sameer,

I'm actually not even close to applying for an MBA yet, however, i do intend to apply in a couple of years. You see, I'm doing my engineering (Pune University) and am still in my third year. But i want to know if it's possible for me to get admission in a decent US college with what i have now, and if not, well, it gives me enough time to work on it.

Well, I'm a mediocre student right now, a solid 5 (out of 10) GPA. However i come from a business oriented family (My dad's a first gen entrepreneur who's well known in our city). I don't really have too many achievements to boast of, but i do have a tendency to work very hard and take tremendous interest when inspired. And at the moment what has me inspired is an MBA in Finance.

I still have time to work on these aspects as i just started my third year. I was just wondering what kind of GMAT score i would need, and other aspects i need to work on, to offset the above cons and if it is realistically possible for me to get an MBA after my engineering. Also, i forgot to mention, i was planning on doing the MBA right after my degree, so there probably won't be any work experience to speak of.

I'm sorry if i've come out too raw. I do plan to get a little more finesse by the end of all this, and i am really hoping you can help me out with that.

Thanks.

by MBACrystalBall » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:31 pm
MBA Jobs - How to choose a post-MBA career goal

If your reason for pursuing an MBA is to spice up your career and give it a new direction, vigour and vitality (is that sounding like one of those shady ayurvedic aphrodisiac advertisements?), it would help if you spend some time to decide which way you would like to take it. And do that before you start your MBA application, so Admission Committees (Adcoms) know you've done your homework. If you have no clue about it, here's a general framework that you can use to structure your thoughts.... Read entire article »
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm
akbrahma wrote:a) By Sept 2012, I will be having a work Experience of around 50 months (4y+)
b) I am working in an Engineering and Construction Company.
:
6) Your target programs.
I am highly interested in moving to Management Consultancy post MBA and prefer to apply to schools where the Big Consultant recruit. I am currently planning to apply for the following schools
ISB, Harvard, Chicago Booth, Tuck, Darden
Brahma-ji namaste,

Seems like you've hit all the right buttons so far, buddy. All that you've shared sounds interesting. Enough maal-masala to build a strong application and the timing (work-experience-wise) is perfect. Nice work, sir!

As your GMAT date is still a month away, I'd recommend starting work on your application in parallel. If you wait till mid-August to start thinking of your essays then you'd be hard-pressed for time. You already have a list of schools to target (a little on the aggressive side, I'd add). And you also have your post-MBA goal (the very competitive management consulting industry) in mind.

So start on the background work and get the bulk of work done. If your GMAT score is more or less in the target range, then it's only a matter of putting the finishing touches on the rest of the application and submitting it. If there's a big deviation, then you could take a call on the choice of schools.
Watch these MBA videos

by arni » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 am
Sameer,

Thanks much for your reply. I plan to take GMAT in the month of October.

by senzeer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 am
Hi Sameer,

First of all thanks for the effort you put in helping applicants. I have 8+ years of exp in IT. Currently into compliance, IT policy, business support for changes, IT change management etc. I have given my GMAT twice - 660(49/31) and 670 (48/34) AWA - 4.5

I would like to apply for ISB and IIMB. Please let me know if i have to retake my GMAT. Also with 8+ years of exp is IT strategy consultant as short term goal a realistic one? I will not be opting for domain change post MBA. So can you please let me know what options are there for me post MBA? i have searched a lot in net but couldnt find any good article. Thanks in advance.

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:08 am
Oxford MBA (Said) - How Jaskirat got an Oxbridge brand on his resume

Oxford University is a name that's been around in the academic world for 8 centuries. If you have no clue how far back in time this was, it was after dinosaurs had disappeared from the face of earth and before internet sensation Govind Tiwari discovered the transcendental world of Photoshop. Jaskirat Baweja discovered Oxford much later, but he knew this was the place for him to pursue his MBA....Read more
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:32 am
ojasp wrote:Hey Sameer,

I'm actually not even close to applying for an MBA yet, however, i do intend to apply in a couple of years. You see, I'm doing my engineering (Pune University) and am still in my third year. But i want to know if it's possible for me to get admission in a decent US college with what i have now, and if not, well, it gives me enough time to work on it.

Well, I'm a mediocre student right now, a solid 5 (out of 10) GPA. However i come from a business oriented family (My dad's a first gen entrepreneur who's well known in our city). I don't really have too many achievements to boast of, but i do have a tendency to work very hard and take tremendous interest when inspired. And at the moment what has me inspired is an MBA in Finance.

I still have time to work on these aspects as i just started my third year. I was just wondering what kind of GMAT score i would need, and other aspects i need to work on, to offset the above cons and if it is realistically possible for me to get an MBA after my engineering. Also, i forgot to mention, i was planning on doing the MBA right after my degree, so there probably won't be any work experience to speak of.

I'm sorry if i've come out too raw. I do plan to get a little more finesse by the end of all this, and i am really hoping you can help me out with that.

Thanks.
Hi ojasp-bhai,

Two unrelated points that will appear to have a karmic connection (when you squint your eyes and read them both simultaneously):

- It is very unlikely that you'll get accepted by a decent (subjective term) univ immediately after graduation. Most will ask you for real world experience and you might find yourself stumbling at the essay stage itself.

- Even if we were to find this hypothetical decent (yup, still subjective) school that's willing to give you a shot. Now the issue is, you've talked about being a mediocre student without many achievements to boast of (unless you can prove that you were the secret driving force behind your dad's success as an entrepreneur).

The good thing is that you've found an area (Finance) that interests you. Do your research in that area. Try to improve those mediocre grades to an above average or good. Get a job in the finance industry and work for a few years. Then you'd be a competitive candidate for the good (not just decent) schools.

Don't do it just for the sake of getting a paper degree or just because your parents want to have an international MBA grad in the family. If it's the former, you are better off pursuing something good in India. If it's the latter, I'd be happy to be adopted (USP: readymade MBA grad, no education debt, also a first generation entrepreneur...minus the fortune).
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 pm
Beyond The MBA Hype - Book Trailer (Pre-release)

My MBA book titled 'Beyond The MBA Hype' will be released soon. It's aimed at working professionals, students, parents, applicants and anyone who thinks an MBA is a magic wand that can set things right.

While most of the other MBA books in the market tell you how to crack the admissions process and walk into the world of high-paying glamorous jobs, this one will prompt you to step back and ask yourself if this is the path you should be following, when there are far more easier, cheaper and less-risky options to achieve the same goals.

Read this before you spend a single rupee on GMAT prep, B-school applications, consultants (yup, including us). It might just save you 50 lakh rupees and 2 years of your productive life. Ok, serious part over. Now for some fun.... Read entire article »
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 am
The Economist team shares tips for MBA virtual fairs

We were approached by The Economist team to help spread the word for their MBA virtual fair. Most Indian applicants can't fly out to visit international schools, so the next best thing to do is reach out to Admissions committee members in the virtual world. An online fair like this one would be a good opportunity for Indian candidates to interact with school representatives from multiple schools - no visa hassles, no expenses and no dress code.

We requested the team to share some tips exclusively for our readers, and they obliged. Simple ideas coming from a credible source takes on a new meaning. So read on and register for free.

Read more
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:10 am
McCombs Texas MBA (UT) - Management Consultant Arsh gets a World Bank job

Differentiation is considered a virtue when it comes to business school admissions. And management consultant Arsh Sharma didn't have to struggle too much to come up with interesting stories for his essays, as his entire career has been a little hat-ke. His pre-MBA resume had references to World Bank, United Nations, Government of Ethiopia. His stint as a Performance Improvement Consultant with Pricewaterhouse helped him gain some kick-a$$ experience in unconventional areas.

During his MBA, he completed an internship with the UIDAI [Unique Identification Authority of India - Government of India's National Unique IDs to over a billion people, the world's biggest project in terms of scale and impact]. Shriman Arsh mahoday stays modest and talks about his journey....Read more
Watch these MBA videos