Ask a Kellogg Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:1 members

by holla » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Just for fun my alma mater may not have as great business school as Northwestern but at least we beat you in something! https://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=310012641 Great game wish everyone a Happy New Year in 2011.
Brandon
Texas Tech

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by findmimi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 pm
Hi
I am visiting Kellogg in early March - any suggestions where I should stay?
Would prefer some within walking distance to the campus as my driving skill is absolutely terrible, esp in winter conditions.

Thanks in advance!

Followed by:4 members

by ls413 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:31 pm
Angela,
Are regular MBA students allowed to take classes that are part of the MMM program? I am very interested in design thinking, and some of the courses in the MMM program seem like they would be right up my alley.

Also, what would you say Kellogg's greatest strengths and weaknesses are?

Thanks,
LS

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by Ben R » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 pm
Hi ls413,

I realize that you asked this question a long time ago, but it's something others may be curious about.

MBA students are able to take many but not all of the classes that comprise the MMM program. All MBAs are allowed to take courses from any graduate school at Northwestern as long as they have approval - there is an application process for this, and it should be of clear relevance to the mba degree.

Design thinking is taught through MBA courses such as (accurate as of Oct 2012) Marketing-led Innovation and Design Lab, but for really deep application and training in design thinking the MMM course is the way to go. Core elements including the Design Thinking class and the Integration projects are (afaik) not accessible to non-MMM students.

Both the Kellogg MBA and MMM curriculums are currently being reviewed, and things may change over the next 2 years so keep an eye on the website: mmm.northwestern.edu

---
As for your second question, Kellogg's greatest strength is the team-focused approach, which drives all students to develop as people, leaders, colleagues and team members. Its greatest weakness is its comparative isolation - unlike HBS and Stanford GSB it is not surrounded by a huge ecosystem of top tier graduate schools so some of the cross-pollination opportunities do not exist. That said, there are plenty of collaboration opportunities available, for instance through the NUvention experiential learning projects. But Evanston is not as dense a hub of research and innovation as Cambridge or Palo Alto.

Ben
MMM class of 2013

by gujralvikas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am
Is it possible to participate in two GIM courses? Participate in one and lead another as a SY? I am interested in both Brazil and China.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by Ben R » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:22 am
Hi gujralvikas,

Yes, that is very possible. GIM leadership is selected by application, so it is not necessarily guaranteed, but leading a GIM trip is a great way to contribute to the school and broaden your horizons.

Ben

Kellogg MMM 2013