• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Anyone use admission consultants?

This topic has 1 expert reply and 108 member replies
Goto page Previous
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
2 messages
Facebook Logo
When I first applied to business school in 2016, I was rejected by six of the M7 schools. With Scott's guidance in 2018, I was able to secure acceptances from Kellogg, Booth and Sloan and was offered a combined $170K in scholarship money from Kellogg and Booth.

I started the process with the Personal MBA Coach (Scott Edinburgh) after meeting him in late July 2018 after the MBA Tour and listening to his talk about the 10 things that one must do to prepare for applications. He seemed very knowledgeable and mentioned his connections with admissions offices, all while offering insights that I would never find online. I immediately signed up with him and am so glad that I did.

Scott took the time to thoroughly understand my background before laying out our plan of attack. Scott's guidance made me feel very assured and confident in myself throughout the process. He steered me in the right direction on how to prioritize apps and plan out my essays for each school, recommending that I focus on particular topics that would resonate with admissions based on my background and what he knew they would look for. We developed such great chemistry that we would be emailing each other practically every other day for the next two months. We scheduled phone calls to strategize our attack for each school's application. He's also been available at a moment's notice for me to call him with more pressing matters, such as how I should rationalize the factors that went into my decision of deciding the business school this fall. This encapsulates what I have truly enjoyed most about working with Scott -- he is candid in his feedback, available at at a moment's notice, and provides great perspective on the admissions process given his history working with other clients.

If you are considering the investment, I would highly encourage you to sign up with Scott. Working with the founder of a top consulting firm is a huge plus, and I think it would give you the confidence that you'd need to secure placements at top MBA programs.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
I used services of Personal MBA Coach (Scott Edinburgh).
I reached out to Scott while I was doing my research on various admission consultants, and after the first call with Scott, I knew he was the right consultant for me. Throughout the duration of our association, he has been available through a call / email etc especially when it is a time sensitive issue. We took a lot of time to decide on the target schools based on my application as I wanted to apply to a lot of them, but then he helped me streamline my thought process. His approach in helping me build my story was phenomenal as he was gave me ideas to ponder over instead of just enforcing me to use one strategy. This definitely helped me clarify the career trajectory for the application and in general as well. With his support, I got interviews almost in all the schools I applied, and have gained an admit from one of them. Still awaiting to hear from 2 top schools. I would definitely recommend him.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
2 messages
Facebook Logo
Yes, I used Scott Edinburgh, the founder of PersonalMBACoach.

The short version of my experience: Researched multiple consultants. Chose Scott over all others. Got into Wharton, Columbia, and Ross despite tremendous odds.

The long one: Since I was an Indian (read: one of the largest demographics) male (the most competitive gender) engineer (the hardest degree type to distinguish yourself in, especially when you are Indian), who was also a re-applicant with 8 years of experience, I knew it was going to be very hard to get into my dream school.

I contacted 10+ consultants and spoke to them at length to understand how they operate. Given my background, I knew that I would need someone who will understand my story properly and help me craft a unique story. After talking to a few of the major consulting firms, I realized that I needed a boutique consultant where I could deal with my consultant directly. Amongst all the boutique consultants I spoke with, I had the best connection with Scott. I liked his calm demeanor, the fact that he seemed to know the colleges well, and most importantly that he had worked with many Indians before and knew how to help them.

I realized his value while working with him on my first application itself. After we figured out my story, we exchanged a lot of drafts on bringing out the 'why'. Scott adds detailed notes in each draft and he always responds within 48 hours. The final essays were really really good, even if I say so myself. They made so much sense and compared to the essays I had written myself during the previous application cycle, these were crystal clear. There was a perfect balance - the essays logically and clearly told the adcom what I wanted to do while bringing out the emotional angle to support why I wanted to do it. Moreover, the last aspect which is so important - the interview prep - is the best part about working with him. My mock interviews were super important in making sure that I do well on the day! In fact without them I am confident I would not have been nearly as good.

Lastly, if there is one thing I can say that would convince you of how good Scott is, it is this - When I took the 5 school package with him, I followed his instructions precisely for 3 schools and went with my gut for the other 2. It just so happens that I got into all the 3 where I listened to him and got rejected from the other 2. Now, I could put that down as a remarkable co-incidence but after working with him over 9 months, I am inclined to believe that Scott knows what he is talking about.

I truly believe that he is the reason I am going to Wharton and I recommend if you are looking for a consultant, look no further than Scott.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
10 messages
I used such consultants, but they are not always effective.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
10 messages
I read the advice of the others, but I do not think that this is so embarrassing in your case.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code