After 12 hours, hostage

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:18 am
venmic wrote:in this sentence

2) involving - ruled this one out becuase involving starts in past continues in present and were is used in the other part

please explain
With tense issues(although this technically isn't one) you have to look at the meaning and not just follow a rule of thumb stating not to change tenses.

Involving is not a verb in choice E, it's a participle, thus it does not have a tense. The robbery itself is "involving" bank robbers and hostages, whether the robbery is actually still going on or not, you get what I'm saying(although again, there's no tense issue here)? So in that sense the sentence makes sense, so you can't eliminate any answer choices with "involving".
I'm not bipolar...I'm bi-winning!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Shankenstein » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 am
I chose 'D'.

by prashant misra » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am
I also think that the answer should be option D though i was confused between D and E.

by shekhar.kataria » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 am
Here if you see both the sentences are in past tense. and therefore involved is better than involving.

Guys, am i correct here. Experts please respond.

Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey guys,

I can't see where D is "wrong", so this may not be a perfect question. I'd say that, if anything, there's a pretty good argument for D in that "that" clearly modifies "the situation", whereas "involving" could theoretically correspond to the negotiators (the negotiators involved the hostages and robbers in solving the situation).

If you made that decision (D over E because of the modification of "the situation"), I'd say you're thinking the right way. The only justification I could see for E is "brevity", but that rationale typically belies another true error that lends itself to a longer, more cumbersome sentence. I don't think D really does that...
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by ronnie1985 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:52 am
IMO (E)
Follow your passion, Success as perceived by others shall follow you

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm
The correct answer should be D. Please see the explanation below:
Target2009 wrote:After 12 hours, hostage negotiators finally resolved a situation involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their efforts were rewarded generously by the grateful bank management.

A. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their....Pronoun "their" not referring to the correct antecedent
B. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the hostages' .... Wrong mentioning of the hostages in the second sentence, logically it should be negotiators
C. which involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their.....Pronoun "their" not referring to the correct antecedent
D. that involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators' - Perfect sentence with 'that" modifying the situation.
E. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators.....the word "involving" should be preceded with a comma

[spoiler]Source : Not from any CAT, came across in some trial material.[/spoiler]
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

by shekhar.kataria » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:08 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey guys,

I can't see where D is "wrong", so this may not be a perfect question. I'd say that, if anything, there's a pretty good argument for D in that "that" clearly modifies "the situation", whereas "involving" could theoretically correspond to the negotiators (the negotiators involved the hostages and robbers in solving the situation).
I may be wrong guys but if in choice E, involving modifies the negotiaters then there should be a comma before involving.

Correct me if i am wrong with my understanding

Ing modifier, Clause Can modify a whole clause , subject, action, and vice versa but

subject + ing modifer wihtout comma correctly modifies the the subject and which makes E correct as it is correctly referring to the situation.

Help pllease
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

by jimmyjimmy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm
Target2009 wrote:OA : E
Please tell me what difference ";" made on your analysis for this sentence.
r u sure its E, coz evn i think there shud b( , )b4 involving..!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anujan007 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm
Went for E. Came down to between D and E. Eliminated D on the point that it was wordy and that the situation was continuing till the point is was resolved, i.e. hence Involving.
My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blocked

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:24 pm
The answer should be (E).

As for the distinction between (D) and (E), the issue of verb tense comes at play. the v-ing action (involving) sets the background whereas the main action in simple past (resolved) is on the foreground. The sentence focuses on the event -- hostage negotiators finally resolved a situation. But what is the situation? Okay, here I'm gonna provide background information: the situation involving bla bla. Therefore, the v-ing form in (E) is justified, whereas the past tense "involved" in (D) fails to clarify the temporal and logical links of these two events/actions, both in simple past.

Here's an example sentence, courtesy of Ron
OG-12 QUESTION 95, correct sentence as below:
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is known as "standing waves."

See here for Ron's explanation: https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-peaks-of ... 30-15.html

Also, regarding the point that Brian raised, "no comma + v-ing" form is a noun modifier that modifies the closest preceding noun,i.e."situation", so there's no problem in (E).

"no comma + v-ing" is a noun modifier
"comma + v-ing" is an adverbial modifier
, unless there is no complete clause preceding it (e.g. an official sentence: "Neuroscientists, having amassed ... in the past 20 years, are now drawing solid conclusions ....")
Target2009 wrote:After 12 hours, hostage negotiators finally resolved a situation involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their efforts were rewarded generously by the grateful bank management.

A. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their
B. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the hostages'
C. which involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their
D. that involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators'
E. involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators'

[spoiler]Source : Not from any CAT, came across in some trial material.[/spoiler]
Last edited by thulsy on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 pm
Here is a similar problem testing "noun VERBing" vs. "noun that VERB":
https://www.beatthegmat.com/united-state ... 65070.html

Notice why in the above question "a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful" is wrong. You may want to check out "reduced relative clause" mentioned by niksworth.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by harpritsn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 pm
IMO D
In option D that correctly modifies the situation.

by manasgoswami1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:34 am
Hi Brian,

is it not true that we should avoid ing forms in GMAT unless the other options are just too bad. So when i have D i should stick to that instead of choosing E!!

tx

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am
I would be willing to bet that this is not an official question!
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

by jaspreetsra » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:42 am
After 12 hours, hostage negotiators finally resolved a situation involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their efforts were rewarded generously by the grateful bank management.

(A) involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their
(B) involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the hostages'
(C) which involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; their
(D) that involved three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators'
(E) involving three bank robbers and 35 hostages; the negotiators'
Why D is not right option? :(
Hard work brings success!