770 -- 50 Q, 46 V -- Content First, Then Speed

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ket » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 pm
Jek what a wonderful debrief, thank you so much for advise and for putting it in such a clear way.

I wonder what was your time frame how long did you study?

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:29 am
Great debrief, and congrats on your MONSTER SCORE! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

study method and mid-study results

by jmitchell3 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:47 pm
awesome.

i'll be taking the GMAT again (first score is now expired...took the exam as a junior in college).

My first GMAT score (6+ years ago) was a 660, Q42/V38, with a 5.0 AWA.

I've taken your advice and procured all four manhattan gmat quant guides, as well as the OG11.

Before I started studying, i took the Knewton trial exam and scored a 630.

I've completed "phase 1 - content" and took the first GMAC practice exam ---scored a 750 (Q48/V45)! although i was indeed running out of time at the end of the quant section...hurried through the last 10 questions and it showed...I missed 7 of them.

I've documented the questions i missed and i'm on to brush up on my weak quant areas before I begin the 6 MGMAT exams and the final GMAC practice exam.

Your program is working nicely...thank you!!!
Jeremy M.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm
I realize that this post is almost a year old, but the advice is grounded and sane. I really appreciate the main thesis -master the content first, then aim for speed. In addition, I find that its easy to get into the habit of solving as many official or unofficial GMAT questions as possible, and then checking the explanations in order to learn. But I think its better to focus on quality versus quantity. This coupled with theory before practice should put me in a good position. Thanks!!

by makj2000 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:27 am
FANTASTIC WORK BUDDY
MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abedinbhuiyan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:10 pm
Jek,

R MGMAT Math books enough to get 770 in GMAT of course with Verbal Books as prescribed.

Gmat BLASTer

by Ephraimite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 am
Great Score! Thanks for the detail information

by imdeepak2003 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 pm
Awesome post jek ,
I read it in morning and you made my day :)
I was so exhausted with work and had started thinking negatively about my GMAT , but now I am positive again :)
I am non native english speaker and my english from verbal to grammar is very bad :( . Can you please, give me some advice for that?

Thanks

by sakhter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:39 pm
Hey,

Great journey on rocking the GMAT, congrats! I'm planning on using your approach and going through all of the MGMAT guides and mastering the content first. I'm thinking each MGMAT book can be completed in 2 weeks including review and enough time to digest all the info.

I was interested in your thoughts and how long it took you to go through all the guides. The Study Plan I've made using this approach will take me approximately 11 weeks to get through all of the MGMAT information. Do you think this is reasonable or should it be shorter/longer?

The next 4 weeks of my prep are dedicated to practice CATS - GMAT PREP, MGMAT & Kaplan, as well as the AWA section for 4-5 days resulting in a 15 week plan to cover all the information and practice tests.

Any thoughts on how the plan could be improved would be greatly appreciated. Also, any insight on how long it took you to get through the information would be great as well.

Congrats on your achievement!

Thanks,
Shakeeb

by Epurmort » Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 pm
Great score. Congrats and thanks for the debrief. Whats schools are you considering?

Followed by:7 members

by rahul.sehgal@btgchampion » Sun May 08, 2011 6:00 am
this is the best debrief :). Thanks for all the valuable information. Congratulations again on a great score..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:19 am
One of the best posts I read here. Excellent. I am ACTUALLY following similar approach. Let's see how it goes :)

by westsidah408 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:54 am
I'm starting prep soon and this is exactly the kind of post I've been looking for. Congrats on your excellent score!!

by rcz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 am
Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out initial plan of attack.
I have the OG12 on my Ipad2 and have purchased all MGMAT books via a value pack on Amazon.
As far as Notes and notes on notes I will be using a combination of paper -> Word doc -> Evernote.
I find that writing things down manually helps with knowledge assimilation/retention vs just copy pasting something. And repeating the process through another medium just reinforces that.

Manual - You physically writing down concepts
Word - Reinforcing the manual exercise (and making things legible if you have crap handwriting like I do).
Evernote - Having your notes available offline and online via web.

I've also been using android/apple math apps to do mental math arithmetic exercises throughout the day when I get a break during work to help with speed.

Let's DO this!!!

by cvsmech » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:28 am
I've read A LOT of debriefs but this IMHO is the best one on any gmat forums.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.