Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: A -> B does not imply that Not A -> Not B.
NOT able to understand this!

GENERALLY, in a GMAT STRENGTHEN CR, if we've A caused B or A has led to B or If A then B, then any answer choice that indicates If NOT A then NOT B,should be a potential STRENGTHENER, I guess. (because MUST BE TRUE aspect doesn't hold true in a STRENGTHEN CR)

Am I correct ?
Your understanding seems correct.

Argument:
In a study, it was found that most daily news-watchers suffer from depression.
Clearly, watching the daily news causes people to suffer from depression.

The following is a valid strengthener:
When daily news-watchers stop watching the daily news, their depression disappears.

To sum up:
A --> B does not imply that Not A --> Not B.
If we are told that daily news-watching causes depression, we cannot conclude that people who avoid the daily news are happy.
However, if an argument concludes that A --> B, this conclusion can be strengthened by showing that Not A --> Not B.
If an argument concludes that daily news-watching causes depression, this conclusion can be strengthened by showing that avoiding the daily news causes the depression to disappear.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:26 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:A --> B does not imply that Not A --> Not B.
If we are told that daily news-watching causes depression, we cannot conclude that people who avoid the daily news are happy.

However, if an argument concludes that A --> B, this conclusion can be strengthened by showing that Not A --> Not B.
If an argument concludes that daily news-watching causes depression, this conclusion can be strengthened by showing that avoiding the daily news causes the depression to disappear.
Hi Mitch,
I hear you here...It clarifies things.

Just a quick clarification required on your above quote -

As for GMAT CR, the KEY DIFFERENCE between the RED part in your above quote and the rest of this quote appears to be that the RED part holds TRUE only as a NON-CONCLUSION portion of a CR ARGUMENT.

Did I get you right ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:23 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch,
Any update on the above concern ?

Curious to know your thoughts on this! Much thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:A --> B does not imply that Not A --> Not B.

Hi Mitch,
I hear you here...It clarifies things.

Just a quick clarification required on your above quote -

As for GMAT CR, the KEY DIFFERENCE between the RED part in your above quote and the rest of this quote appears to be that the RED part holds TRUE only as a NON-CONCLUSION portion of a CR ARGUMENT.

Did I get you right ?
The portion in red applies only to an A-->B statement that is known to be true.
The conclusion of a CR passage is not known to be true.
Thus, the portion to red does not apply to the conclusion of a CR passage.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Verbal Experts,
Why Option E is wrong ?

I think, it raises concern about the study and in a GMAT CR in which conclusion is based on some sort of study, then that conclusion, I guess, can be weakened by raising concern about the study. Isn't it ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Verbal Experts,
Why Option E is wrong ?

I think, it raises concern about the study and in a GMAT CR in which conclusion is based on some sort of study, then that conclusion, I guess, can be weakened by raising concern about the study. Isn't it ?
Premise: A study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Conclusion: To maintain mental sharpness...social interaction suffices.

E: The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.

If E is true, then the study showed the following:
The more social contact people report, the better their mental skills when performing tasks akin to mathematics problems.
This information seems to STRENGTHEN the link between social interaction and mental sharpness.
Eliminate E.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:33 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: If E is true, then the study showed the following:
The more social contact people report, the better their mental skills when performing tasks akin to mathematics problems.
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Don't understand the above part, especially the RED portion...How we can derive at this explanation from the Option E ?

According to E, evaluation of mental sharpness is more akin (i.e. related/inclined) to mathematics problems than to conversation. So, E simply means mental sharpness is more related to mathematics problems than to social conversation -- so,I guess, this part seems to be in line with what is "widely assumed" as mentioned in the first statement of the passage, BUT not really falls in line with the CONCLUSION of the passage that social interaction is responsible/sufficient for mental sharpness.

How is this logic wrong ? Please help!

GMAT Instructor

2016 GMAT official guide weaken Q

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: If E is true, then the study showed the following:
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Don't understand the above part, especially the RED portion...How we can derive at this explanation from the Option E ?
The passage supports the conclusion by citing a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
E gives further information about this study:
The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.
The phrase in blue refers to THE STUDY cited in the passage.
Implication:
The people in the study who reported more social contact were shown to have better mental skills in tasks akin to mathematics problems.
As noted in my post above, this information seems to STRENGTHEN the link between social interaction and mental sharpness.
Eliminate E.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re:

by jaideep.bhatta » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 am
katrizenis wrote:124. It is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities such as solving crossword puzzles or mathematics problems in order to maintain mental sharpness as they age. In fact, however, simply talking to other people-that is, participating in social interaction, which engages many mental and perceptual skills-suffices
. Evidence to this effect comes from a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the force of the evidence cited?

(A) As people grow older, they are often advised to keep exercising their physical and mental capacities in order to maintain or improve them.
(B) Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
(C) Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems.
(D) The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
(E) The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.
Premise: The more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Conclusion: To maintain mental sharpness...social interaction suffices.

This is a CAUSAL ARGUMENT.
In a causal argument, events A and B are observed together, and the argument concludes that A causes B.
Here, social interaction and mental sharpness are observed together, and the argument concludes that social interaction CAUSES mental sharpness.
Put another way, the argument concludes that a LACK of social interaction causes a LACK of mental sharpness.
Hi @GMATGuruNY - When I read this problem, it seems like

Premise is giving evidence of causality
study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

But all the conclusion is saying,
social contact is all that is needed to maintain mental sharpness

I see the causality in the premise not in the final conclusion specifically

Hence