12 year out of college, GMAT study plans?

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
Glad to see that you are back on the horse! If you need any advice regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out.

In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by KDR83 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 pm
Thanks, I will check it out

Took another practice test

by KDR83 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 am
Just an update, still studying and just took another official practice test, haven't taken one in months and restarted studying about a month ago

9/24/18
Score 690
Quantitative:47 - 63% percentile
Verbal: 38 - 85% percentile

6/8/18
Score 630
Quantitative: 39 - ??% percentile
Verbal: 38 - 85% percentile

6/2/18:
Score 640
Quantitative:42 - 45% percentile
Verbal: 36 - 81% percentile

5/2/18:
Score 560
Quantitative: 33- 25% percentile
Verbal: 34- 71% percentile

Needless to say, I am thrilled with the results as I honestly was worried I was going to do worse after taking suck a long break. I am on Day 22 of the 60 day study guide.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 pm
Hi KDR83,

That's great news - especially considering the time off you took over the Summer. To clarify things a bit though, was this a CAT that you had taken before (or did you see any questions on it that you had previously answered?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

12 Year out of college, GMAT study plan?

by KDR83 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Hi KDR83,

That's great news - especially considering the time off you took over the Summer. To clarify things a bit though, was this a CAT that you had taken before (or did you see any questions on it that you had previously answered?)?

Rich[/quote]

It was a CAT from the official website, I have taken it before but for some reason the previous attempt does not showed up in my profile. There were zero repeat questions in quantitative, at least I did not remember any and had to solve each question, there was one repeat passage in the verbal but I missed 3 out of the 4 questions pertaining it. I believe I actually did better last time on the same passage, so I'm not concerned about an inflated score. I went back and checked all my questions and there were at least 3 quantitative problems I knew how to do, just made stupid mistakes.

by KDR83 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 am
Well big update today, unfortunately not as good of an outcome as I was hoping for...

On October 26th I took a full length practice test on Manhattan Prep:

Score 620
IR: 6.6
Quant: 39
Verbal: 35

I panicked here as this is the lowest score I have received in a while, basically since I began to study. I finished up studying and took the full length Exam #2 on the official GMAT website (1st Attempt) this past Friday Nov 2nd:

Score 680
IR: 5
Quant: 46
Verbal: 37

So I was feeling pretty good again, this weekend I only looked at a few sample essays for the Essay.

Well today, Nov 5th, I took the GMAT for the 1st time. I was not that familiar with the process but think the nerves got the best of me:

Score 640
IR: 8
Quant: 42
Verbal: 35

Funny thing is during my two best practice tests, which were both from the official GMAT website, I felt I was failing the math section and I got a 46 and a 47, this time was the first time I felt confident about the math and got a 42. I did rush the last two problems which were easy but did not have time to calculate them so perhaps that hurt my score significantly? Verbal, I just felt like I was not understanding the passages, normally on verbal I do pretty terribly at sentence correction but miss zero or one on all the other parts, this time I felt less confident on that section. I think I want to retake the test, I am going on vacation for Thanksgiving so may aim to retake it mid December. I want at least a 680+ and mostly it is simply for me wanting it, sucks it will cost me another $250 to try again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Hi KDR83,

I'm sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT, but 640 is not a total disaster, right? Your quant score was only four points below your latest practice quant score, and your verbal score was only two points below your latest practice verbal score. That being said, a likely reason for your score drop could be that you have some lingering quant and verbal weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Thus, if you decide to retake the GMAT, you need to spend some time finding and addressing those weaknesses before your retake.

If you do decide to retake the GMAT, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some specific advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't go as well as you'd hoped. I want to address a few things you said:
KDR83 wrote:Funny thing is during my two best practice tests, which were both from the official GMAT website, I felt I was failing the math section and I got a 46 and a 47, this time was the first time I felt confident about the math and got a 42. I did rush the last two problems which were easy but did not have time to calculate them so perhaps that hurt my score significantly? Verbal, I just felt like I was not understanding the passages, normally on verbal I do pretty terribly at sentence correction but miss zero or one on all the other parts, this time I felt less confident on that section. I think I want to retake the test, I am going on vacation for Thanksgiving so may aim to retake it mid December. I want at least a 680+ and mostly it is simply for me wanting it, sucks it will cost me another $250 to try again.
1. Inconsistency.
Your scores on both quant & verbal have bounced around a lot. Inconsistency in score usually indicates inconsistency in your process: you don't really have a clear plan of attack for each problem, so you're just winging it. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. (I'm not saying that this is definitely the case with you, but it often is with students with similar score patterns). Before doing any new practice problems or CATs, make sure you've deeply reviewed to look for holes in your process:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -going-up/

2. Ignore how it *feels*
The adaptive nature of the test means that if it feels hard, that's likely a good sign - you're getting hard questions. Most people are not accurate judges of the difficulty level of the question they're on, though. It's best just to try to ignore the voice inside your head that's telling you how well or poorly you're doing, because it's probably not accurate.

3. Cost
Don't spend any mental energy worrying about $250 for this test, or even another $250 for a third one. You're about to quite a lot more money - and years of your life - on graduate school, so it helps to take a "drop in the bucket" mentality. Worrying about the price of the GMAT is just an added layer of stress that could hurt your performance.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am
Hi KDR83,

First off, a 640 is a solid score (it's right around the 70th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba- ... t-f40.html

There's certainly no harm in retesting - and you have the potential to pick up some significant points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. To determine the specific areas that you should focus on, you might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

by KDR83 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am
I wonder how helpful it is if at all but although I only got a 640 on my GMAT, I did get a perfect score on both the IR section (8.0) and AWA (6.0). I do feel pretty proud of that achievement. And before anyone asks, the order I selected when taking the test was Quant, Verbal, IR, and AWA, so I did not waste too much "brain power" on those sections and as a result got a lower score on the "more important" sections.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:53 pm
Hi KDR83,

Your Essay and IR Scores are both nice achievements - but most Programs do much put much of a 'premium' on either of those Scores (although depending on the number of applicants and the situation, it's possible that those Scores could serve as 'tie breakers' in your favor). I'd still recommend that you discuss your profile and application plans with an Admissions Expert though.

Rich