1000CR - TestA#7,Test B#15,19

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 am
I feel that B in Census question would have some weightage if option C were not there..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00 am
The argument's conclusion is that the count is basically accurate, despite the fact that some people go uncounted.

Must the author absolutely assume that all people can be classified as either rich or poor in order to reach this conclusion?

That's the standard on an assumption question - not could the author believe this, but MUST the author believe this to reach the conclusion. What do you think, in this case?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:The argument's conclusion is that the count is basically accurate, despite the fact that some people go uncounted.

Must the author absolutely assume that all people can be classified as either rich or poor in order to reach this conclusion?

That's the standard on an assumption question - not could the author believe this, but MUST the author believe this to reach the conclusion. What do you think, in this case?
Perfect!!, thanks stacey, for pointing this out..
i got it now..

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 pm
Stacey there is nothing wrong with the explanation in 19th question, even I got the same answer as C but the problem is that what you took as the premise and the conclusion, I totally took or identified the opposite.

Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

I took this as the Conclusion because of the word Certainly. Even when you read the sentence as the above sentence as the conclusion, the overall argument becomes logical. Please rectify if I am wrong. But the answer I get it as C as well.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.