Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

by CPA2011 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 pm
My Profile: 24 years old (25 at time of admittance), Male

- Bachelor in Accounting, 3.7GPA from Marshall University (run-of-the-mill state school)

- I am currently studying for the GMAT. Judging by practice exams, my conservative score prediction is 650 up to possibly 690. I know this will significantly impact your evaluation of my profile, but I do not want to make the GMAT until I am very confident that I won't come in at my lower range (650).

- I'm a Senior Auditor at a regional accounting firm (aka, unheard of). Although my firm is small (50 professionals), it is the 4th largest in my state (WV) and I have worked with large privately held corporations in the coal and manufacturing industries, including the largest privately held coal corporation by reserves in the mid-Atlantic U.S., as well as manufacturers with operations across the Eastern U.S., China, Australia and South America. I have also worked with our largest bank client that also happens to be publicly traded.

I have all the standard auditor experience (audits as well as comps, reviews, projections) and I have also worked directly with foreign translation of Chinese subsidiary financial statements. My firm is very non-traditional, and as such, I have not been as limited in my ability to gain more responsibility simply by working hard.

I have handled entire audit engagements by myself, dealing face to face with CEO's and CFO's of mid-sized ($200-500+mm in revenue) corporations. I have also been a team member of our Business Valuation group and taken part in multiple valuations, although I do not possess the CVA or CBV certifications.

- In college, I was the Treasurer of my Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity. I also spoke at our regional conference competition and was awarded 2nd place, only behind NYU. During my time in BAP, I also volunteered for the United Way to prepare tax returns for low income individuals and families.

- I have no patents or publications, however, I am a Certified Public Accountant, and the youngest CPA in my firm.

- I am a recreational distance runner and have successfully completed a marathon.

- My target schools are solid 2nd tier schools, with some 1st tier schools thrown in as my long shots: Target schools are Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Penn State, Ohio State. Long shot schools are UNC and Duke.

-------It's worth noting that I'm confident in my GPA, what my GMAT score will be, and my interview/essay ability. My real concern is the fact that my firm is not a national name.------

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:14 pm
Hello CPA2011, thanks for your question.

As you anticipated, I hesitate to give a detailed pronouncement until we have a GMAT score - predictions can often be off on both the high or low side. From an academics perspective, your GPA is solid.

I know you worry that your firm is not a national name. Of course, brands do matter to some degree, but I think what can be more significant is the quality of your experience at your firm. You could work at a nationally recognized firm, have an impressive sounding title, but not have been a leader. To me, it's more important that in your essays you speak to the specific achievements in the workplace that clearly demonstrate your leadership potential, initiative, and ability to drive results and motivate others. If you have experiences that can highlight those attributes, I would worry less about the company name.

In terms of extracurriculars, what have you done since starting work? Schools value recent experience here, and some programs even ask outright for only things you have done over the past 3 years. It need not be official volunteer work. Often, talking about your passions or hobbies - like your running a marathon - are better indicators of your engagement with the world than, say, volunteering once a week at a soup kitchen. How recent was your United Way activity? Moreover, extracurriculars is another area where you should look to demonstrate your leadership!

You didn't mention your post-MBA goals. To the degree that you can paint a cohesive picture of how your past and present connect to your future career path, the stronger your candidacy will be. Moreover, you will need to clearly show that your future career requires an MBA.

Broadly speaking, I think a 650 will make you competitive at the schools you listed, and a 690 puts Duke and UNC in play. Also, the facts that you are from West Virginia and work in the coal mining industry could differentiate you.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php