Writing Out A-B-C-D-E on Scrap Sheets??

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Are you able to do this on the "erasable board" we are given..ie does it smudge easily? When I take my practice tests I section off nine sheets of paper and write out abcde on each one so I can cross them off as I perform my poe. I want to know if I will be able to do this on test day.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm
Sure, of course you can. The paper doesn't smudge, unless your hands get very sweaty... keep those nerves under control :)
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:57 pm
haha, thanks - will do my best. def feeling a little anxiety already and my test is not till next Thursday..... :shock:

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
[email protected] wrote:Are you able to do this on the "erasable board" we are given..ie does it smudge easily? When I take my practice tests I section off nine sheets of paper and write out abcde on each one so I can cross them off as I perform my poe. I want to know if I will be able to do this on test day.

by the way, note that you won't get nine sheets on exam day; if i recall correctly, the wet-erase pad contains a total of only 6 sheets. in any event, it's certainly no more than 8, with one of the sheets being the cover page (which is essentially impossible to write on meaningfully).

if you use up the entirety of the pad at any point, though (or even if you just decide you want to break up with the old one and get a new, more exciting one), they'll give you a new one.

also note that the pad will have coordinate grid lines on it. these are meant to help you out with coordinate problems, but they have the nice secondary application of making it much easier to set up an abcde grid. if you want authentic practice, use a sheet of quadrille graph paper rather than 'normal' paper.

good luck!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by saege » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:34 am
Ron
Will we get enough time to spend drawing the grid?? And since GMAT is a timed exam wont drawing the grid take off some time from the exam.
Any tips on this???

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 am
I have to say that I actually like writing out ABCDEs because this gives me a 2 to 3 seconds worth of a break between looking at the screen. If you add up all of the seconds that you spend writing out ABCDE, you spend 3 to 4 minutes writing this out. I don't think this is a big deal; especially if it helps you to systematically eliminate wrong choices.

Also, here is a product that I think might be of interest to some people. I thought of purchasing it, but then decided that pen and some paper will be just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Si ... 110&sr=8-1

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:21 am
I typically write out ABCDE during the break period, so you do not lose any time (on my practice exams at elast).

I was told we would get 9 "sides" to write on (5 sheets of paper with one side taken up by instructions). So we definitely only get a maximum of 4 sheets with one side that has instructions (7 "sides")?

Thanks!!

Eric

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 am
You get three sheets of paper - so six "sides". It's very easy to ask for more, though - just remember that when you do ask for more, the test administrator takes your old sheets away from you.

by tmmyc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:41 am
You will have 5 laminated spiral-bound yellow sheets. Each side of the sheets is usable except for the first page, so 9 usable sides.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kindofbluenote » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 am
On a related topic: Ask for extra pens. The pen I had for the quant section didn't havd a lot of ink left and was annoying. The proctor was kind enough to give me three pens for the verbal section, so I didn't have to worry about it anymore.
There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:49 pm
thanks for the input everyone. test is Thursday, wish me luck!!! Hoping to score around the 710 I achieved on my last two practice tests.

Eric

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:25 am
took the test yesterday and scored a 740 =)

Following up on this....

My notebook consisted of 5 double sided pages with the front of the book used as an instruction sheet. You are not able to start writing before the test site hawk hits the begin button. This essentially leaves you only with the minute and a half or so allotted for reading the instructions to section off the scratch paper (otherwise you are using up clock time). I actually did use some clock time to finish sectioning off my scratch paper for the verbal section, as I relied heavily on POE esp on verbal.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 am
efishel,

You know how you have about 15 pages to go through on GMATPrep before you get to the actual test? Is that part timed on the GMAT?!?! Or am I misunderstanding you?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by marrisa07 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:40 am
Hey guys,

I am curious whether or not you are provided w/ a tissue/napkin to use it as an eraser.

Thanks! :)

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:58 am
Nope - you can't erase. Therefore, I advise all my students to write nice and neat and big so that it's easy to cross things out without messing up all your work.