work / rate

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:490

work / rate

by maoriba » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:05 am
HEllo, can u please help me wiht this one?

A bathtub has two faucets, P and Q, and one drain. Faucet P alone can fill the whole tub in ten minutes, and faucet Q alone can fill the whole tub four minutes faster than the drain can empty the whole tub. With faucets P and Q both running and the drain unstopped, the tub fills in six minutes. How long would the drain take to empty the whole tub?
(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

bath full/ emptly in minutes proportion of bath full in 1 min bath in 6 minutes
fancet p 10 min 1/10th 6*1/10= 6/10
fancet Q Drill +4 minutes? 1/ (d+4) 6*1/(d+4)
P+Q+ drain 6 minutes 1/6th 6*1/6 = 1
drain ?

if P+Q+drill is full in 6 minutes, P in 6 minutes makes 3/5 of the bath, Q in 6 minutes makes 6*1/(d+4), correct?
so 3/5 + 6*1/(d+4)=d...it si getting too complicated to be correct. Where did I make the mistake?[/b]
riba made

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 am
maoriba wrote:HEllo, can u please help me wiht this one?

A bathtub has two faucets, P and Q, and one drain. Faucet P alone can fill the whole tub in ten minutes, and faucet Q alone can fill the whole tub four minutes faster than the drain can empty the whole tub. With faucets P and Q both running and the drain unstopped, the tub fills in six minutes. How long would the drain take to empty the whole tub?
(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

bath full/ emptly in minutes proportion of bath full in 1 min bath in 6 minutes
fancet p 10 min 1/10th 6*1/10= 6/10
fancet Q Drill +4 minutes? 1/ (d+4) 6*1/(d+4)
P+Q+ drain 6 minutes 1/6th 6*1/6 = 1
drain ?

if P+Q+drill is full in 6 minutes, P in 6 minutes makes 3/5 of the bath, Q in 6 minutes makes 6*1/(d+4), correct?
so 3/5 + 6*1/(d+4)=d...it si getting too complicated to be correct. Where did I make the mistake?[/b]
I didn't understand your way of solving but this is how i solved.
x - Time/minutes taken to drain out.
Q is faster than drainage. So time taken by Q will be 4 less than time taken by drain.
i.e. time taken by Q is = x - 4.
Rate of P - 1/10 (Assume the capacity as 1)
Rate of Q - 1/x-4
Rate of drain - 1/x

by the rate formula If A and B are time taken by persons A and B then together they can complete the work in T (time units).
1/A + 1/B = 1/T.

Combined rate will be Rate of P + Rate of Q - Rate of drain and will be equal to (=) 1/6
In this case A is P, B is Q and T is 6 minutes.
Combining drain's rate - 1/P + 1/Q - 1/D = 1/10 + 1/(x-4) - 1/x = 1/6.
Solving above gives - x^2 - 4x - 60 = 0.
Solving for x gives x = 10 minutes.
Option C.
Hope is the dream of a man awake

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:480

by MAAJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:09 am
Equations given:

a) 10 (1/p) = 1 HENCE p=10

b) 6 (1/p) + 6 (1/q) - 6 (1/d) = 1 OR (1/p) + (1/q) - (1/d) = (1/6)

c) (x-4) (1/q) = 1 HENCE q=x-4

d) x(1/d) = 1 HENCE d=x

Substitute p=10 on equiation b) :

(1/10) + (1/q) - (1/d) = (1/6)
(1/q) - (1/d) = (1/6)-(1/10)
(1/q) - (1/d) = (1/15)
(d-q)/(dq) = (1/15)
15(d-q) = dq

Substitute c) and d) on the above equation:

15(x-(x-4)) = x(x-4)
15(x-x+4) = (x^2)-4x
15(4) = (x^2)-4x
60 = (x^2)-4x
(x^2)-4x-60 = 0

Solve the above equation:

(x-10)(x+6) = 0 THUS x=10 OR x=-6
*We pick 10 because it is a positive number.

Look at equation d):

x(1/d) = 1 THUS the drainer takes 10 minutes to drain the whole tub.

Correct Answer: [spoiler](C)[/spoiler]
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:21 am

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes
Almost no math is needed if we plug in the answer choices and think just a bit. The answer choices represent the time that the drain takes to empty the whole tub.

Answer choice C: The drain takes 10 minutes to empty the whole tub.
Since to fill the tub faucet P also takes 10 minutes, faucet P and the drain are operating at the same rate. Thus, when they work together, the tub will remain empty: for every amount that P pours into the tub, the drain will empty the tub by the exact same amount.
The problem states that when P, Q and the drain work together the tub fills in 6 minutes. Since P and the drain cancel out each other's work, the water collecting in the tub must be coming from faucet Q. Thus, faucet Q can fill the tub in 6 minutes.
Since 6 minutes is 10-6=4 minutes faster than the drain takes to empty the tub, answer choice C is correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes
Almost no math is needed if we plug in the answer choices and think just a bit. The answer choices represent the time that the drain takes to empty the whole tub.

Since to fill the tub faucet P also takes 10 minutes, faucet P and the drain are operating at the same rate. Thus, when they work together, the tub will remain empty: for every amount that P pours into the tub, the drain will empty the tub by the exact same amount.
The problem states that when P, Q and the drain work together the tub fills in 6 minutes. Since P and the drain cancel out each other's work, the water collecting in the tub must be coming from faucet Q. Thus, faucet Q can fill the tub in 6 minutes.
Since 6 minutes is 10-6=4 minutes faster than the drain takes to empty the tub, answer choice C is correct.
Very nice method of solving. Thanks.
Solving such questions seem to be bit daunting in the exam stress.
Such methodologies give confidence !
Hope is the dream of a man awake

by MAAJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:04 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

How did you know that faucet P and the dariner (D) work/operate at the same rate? :( ????
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 am
MAAJ wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

How did you know that faucet P and the dariner (D) work/operate at the same rate? :( ????
When we plug in answer choice C, P and D are doing the same amount of work (filling/emptying the tub) in the same amount of time (10 minutes). Since rate = work/time, P and D are working at the same rate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by MAAJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
MAAJ wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

When we plug in answer choice C, P and D are doing the same amount of work (filling/emptying the tub) in the same amount of time (10 minutes). Since rate = work/time, P and D are working at the same rate.
:oops: I'm so stupid! haha know I get it :P thank you guru! :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm

(A) 5 (5/11) minutes
(B) 6 minutes
(C) 10 minutes
(D) 19 minutes
(E) 30 minutes

Let's let n = the time it takes the drain to empty the tub. The fill rate of faucet P is 1/10, the fill rate of faucet P is 1/(n - 4), and the drain rate of the drain is 1/n. We see that with both faucets running and the drain unstopped, the tub fills in 6 minutes. Thus, we know that the sum of the fill rates of P and Q, less the "emptying rate" of the drain, yields a full tub in 6 minutes. We can create the equation that describes this activity as:,
1/10 + 1/(n-4) - 1/n = 1/6

We can multiply the entire equation by 30n(n-4) and we have:

3n(n-4) + 30n - 30(n-4) = 5n(n-4)

3n^2 - 12n + 30n - 30n + 120 = 5n^2 - 20n

2n^2 - 8n - 120 = 0

n^2 - 4n - 60 = 0

(n - 10)(n + 6) = 0

n = 10 or n = -6

Since n must be positive, n = 10. This means that if the tub were full of water, and neither P nor Q was operating at all, then it would take 10 minutes for the entire tub to drain.

Answer: C

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews