Work rate

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:54 am
If Dave works alone he will take 20 more hours to complete a task than if he worked with Diana to complete the task. If Diana works alone, she will take 5 more hours to complete the complete the task, then if she worked with Dave to complete the task? What is the ratio of the time taken by Dave to that taken by Diana if each of them worked alone to complete the task?

A. 4 : 1

B. 2 : 1

C. 10 : 1

D. 3 : 1

E. 1 : 2
TIME and RATE are RECIPROCALS.
This reciprocal relationship suggests another way to PLUG IN THE ANSWERS.
When the correct answer choice is plugged in, Dave's time alone must be 20 hours longer than the time for Dave and Diana working together.

Answer choice D: 3:1
Since (Dave's time)/(Diana's time) = 3/1, (Dave's rate)/(Diana's rate) = 1/3.
Implication:
If Dave produces 1 unit per hour, then Diana produces 3 units per hour, for a total of 4 units per hour when they work together.

Let the job = the LCM of 1, 3 and 4 = 12 units.
Since Dave's rate = 1 unit per hour, the time for Dave alone = 12/1 = 12 hours.
Since Diana's rate = 3 units per hour, the time for Diana alone = 12/3 = 4 hours.
Since their combined rate = 4 units per hour, the time for Dave and Diana working together = 12/4 = 3 hours.
Here, Diana's time alone (4 hours) is only 1 HOUR LONGER than the time for Dave and Diana working together (3 hours).

Since Diana's time alone must be 5 HOURS LONGER than the time for Dave and Diana working together, all of the times above must be multiplied by a FACTOR OF 5, implying the following values:
Time for Dave alone = 12*5 = 60 hours.
Time for Diana alone = 4*5 = 20 hours.
Time for Dave and Diana working together = 3*5 = 15 hours.
Doesn't work:
Here, Dave's time alone (60 hours) is not 20 hours longer than the time for Dave and Diana working together (15 hours).
Eliminate D.

Answer choice B: 2:1
Since (Dave's time)/(Diana's time) = 2/1, (Dave's rate)/(Diana's rate) = 1/2.
Implication:
If Dave produces 1 unit per hour, then Diana produces 2 units per hour, for a total of 3 units per hour when they work together.

Let the job = the LCM of 1, 2 and 3 = 6 units.
Since Dave's rate = 1 unit per hour, the time for Dave alone = 6/1 = 6 hours.
Since Diana's rate = 2 units per hour, the time for Diana alone = 6/2 = 3 hours.
Since their combined rate = 3 units per hour, the time for Dave and Diana working together = 6/3 = 2 hours.
Here, Diana's time alone (3 hours) is only 1 HOUR LONGER than the time for Dave and Diana working together (2 hours).

Since Diana's time alone must be 5 HOURS LONGER than the time for Dave and Diana working together, all of the times above must be multiplied by a FACTOR OF 5, implying the following values:
Time for Dave alone = 6*5 = 30 hours.
Time for Diana alone = 3*5 = 15 hours.
Time for Dave and Diana working together = 2*5 = 10 hours.
Success!
Here, Dave's time alone (30 hours) is 20 hours longer than the time for Dave and Diana working together (10 hours).

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3