Which B-schools to target

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which B-schools to target

by djonga » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:43 am
Hi,
I have recently taken my GMAT and have a decent 720, with a Q49, V39. A brief detail of my profile is given below. I will really appreciate of someone can help me to zero in on the b-school selection.

Profile:
1. Indian male
2.Decent Extra curriculars- singing and writing, have participated in college level fests and competitions.
3. NON engineer.

Academics:
1. BBA, passed in first division, 70.3%, was the topper of my class.
2. PGDM, 7.4/ CGPA, was among the top 5% of my class.
3. FRM charter holder
4. Pursuing CFA ( USA)

Work-experience:4.5 yrs

1.Currently working in a sr. managerial role with a global rating agency ( read Moody's, S&P). Has a group of analysts and senior analysts rolling up to me.
2. Has worked in a KPO ( read genpact, WNS) in a junior managerial role. Has lead a team of analysts.
3. Has worked as Sr. Associate Consultant for a global IT giant ( read Infosys, TCS, Wipro bracket) in Risk and Compliance Vertical. Has been a top performer , in my firm, with several awards and good recommendations.
4. Has client facing experience, lone SME in complicated financial projects ( read Actuarial premium calculations, Basel, CCAR , AML solution implementation).

Post MBA goal:
To work in equity research division of an Investment bank.

I am open to college in UK or US. I am looking at top tier colleges, but any suggestion, based on my profile, is welcome.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 pm
Hi,
having read through your profile, you stand a good chance to get into most of top 15-30 schools. I also think your desire post MBA is consistent with your background and hence, makes for simpler transition in your essays.
However, my 2 cents - your essays have to be really stellar - drawing deep insights about who you are as a person and who you would like to become and how an MBA is essential in what you do. Be quite rigid with yourself and follow a disciplined approach - ask the tough questions and try to drill down to what makes you tick and is likely to get you out of bed.
Naturally, US and UK and good options. If outside US and in Asia, look for cities with more finance jobs - Hong Kong becomes a good choice. What about your finances though? That may also become an important decision point.
Hope this helps.
--
Indradeep Mazumdar
Free Profile/Application Evaluation
MBA Coach and Admissions Expert
Show Me The Mantra
showmethemantra.com
[email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by djonga » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am
Indradeep wrote:Hi,
having read through your profile, you stand a good chance to get into most of top 15-30 schools. I also think your desire post MBA is consistent with your background and hence, makes for simpler transition in your essays.
However, my 2 cents - your essays have to be really stellar - drawing deep insights about who you are as a person and who you would like to become and how an MBA is essential in what you do. Be quite rigid with yourself and follow a disciplined approach - ask the tough questions and try to drill down to what makes you tick and is likely to get you out of bed.
Naturally, US and UK and good options. If outside US and in Asia, look for cities with more finance jobs - Hong Kong becomes a good choice. What about your finances though? That may also become an important decision point.
Hope this helps.

Thank You Indradeep, that was really helpful.