where to study CR from?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

where to study CR from?

by the_silver_lining » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:49 am
Hi,
I have completed the OG CR 2-3 months ago. I made many mistakes while practicing. Now when I tried to practice from the OG I nearly remembered all the answers without even looking at the options. I don't know where to practice from now.
Please let me know if there are other sources equivalent to the level of OG CR.
Thanks,
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch

Don't complain; just work harder.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am
Try to use web resources; You'll get tons of unsolved question for practice.

Followed by:1 members

by szDave » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 am
PowerScore Crit Reasoning Bible is really good! Buy that one.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm
Try the OG- Verbal Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 am
there are very few sources of verbal problems that consistently match the official ones in quality, method, and style, so it's best to maximize the utility you can derive from the official problems.

for CR -- one thing you can do on strengthening, weakening, "evaluating the argument", and "explaining the situation" problems (which together account for at least 80% of the problems you'll see in CR):
make a new correct answer to the problem.
in other words, make up a new "answer choice" that doesn't work like the original correct answer, but that would also be a correct answer if it appeared in the choices.

here are a couple of examples, using problem numbers from the 12th edition OG (i'm not allowed to reproduce the problems here):

* another possible correct answer for #109: most prank calls to the fire department are made by teenagers, whose use of private telephones is monitored by their parents. (strengthens the argument by providing additional justification for the idea that prank calls will go down if people are forced onto private phones)

* another possible correct answer for #65: no modern history of cyprus mentions any earthquake near the island other than the one that occurred in AD 365. (strengthens the argument by eliminating, or at least rendering much more remote, the possibility of another earthquake that might have caused the observed destruction)

if you do this, it will help your brain start thinking in the way it actually has to. (obviously there won't be an "answer key" for an exercise like this one -- but, if you are starting to get the right kind of handle on the way CR works, you should have a pretty good intuition about whether your creations work.)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:3 members

by the_silver_lining » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:20 am
Thanks a lot Ron. This will surely help me. Atleast this will make my brain work for those 124 OG questions instead of just wasting them.
Thanks again,
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch

Don't complain; just work harder.