What to do? Gmat Soon

by mjoeb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 am
So far, i have done 5 Practice CATS with the following results:

MGMAT: Q13, V27 Total 390 (March 10)
Q32 V30 Total 520 (March 19)
Q44 V33 Total 640 (April 6th)

GMAC PREP: Q12 V22 Total 400 (April 11)
Q34 V27 Total 530 (April 16)

I want to write my GMAT in 2 weeks. I started using LSAT material for CR and RC questions. I'm generally pretty strong in SC.

Math is obviously my weakness.

I have taken the exam a total of 5 times (3 was with poor preparation and attitude) and the last 2 times, I seriously started from square one.

Is it true that MGMAT is good material? I found that after doing MGMAT and stepping into GPREP, it threw me off.

I know the fundamentals of the math, but I have issues with timing. Can anyone tell me of any advice they have? How to study? What to do in the next 2 weeks?

Thank you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mjoeb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:47 am
any response/suggestions are appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by pakaskwa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am
Personally I dont' think any GMAT materials are close enough to real test, including Princeton, MCGMAT, Manhatten, Kaplan, etc. And trust me I tried quite a few of them. The best materials out there is OG. Get your hands on all OGs, like OG10-12.

Math: most of the math books are relatively easier than real test, simply because they are not CAT. i.e. they won't give you harder questions if you get a few questions right in a row, nor will they give you a similar question if you did the previous question wrong. When I did the GMATPrep and real test, the questions are always harder because they match with your performance. One trick you can do is to copy 37 questions from here (beatthegmat.com) into a Word file, and do it as a test (and time it too). Questions posted here are usually harder questions. It may help you mentally prepare for the real test.

If you are weak at math, I'd also suggest to break it down and practice section by section: algebra, geometry, probability, etc. Since you got only 2 weeks, I'd recommend you to focus on math for one full week. Personally I think math is easier to improve than verbal.

Another suggestion: remember GMAT is an ability test, not a language or math test. There's a good reason for all business schools around the world to use GMAT to size up applicants. They are not only testing your quantitative or verbal knowledge, but also evaluating your ability to focus and perform under pressure. You need to stablize your performance with simulation tests, and think GMAT as part of an interview (as some companies would use CAT tests for their interviews).

Anyways, just some thoughts. Wish you the best luck!