What kind of Schools tier of schools should I be looking at?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took my gmat, and got a 720 (47/42), have a 3.24 double major coming from undergrad at UW Madison, and have 5 years work experience. The issue is that my WE is a bit different than most. I moved to China in 2008 to become fluent in mandarin, then opened up a poker club, which i later sold.

Then I moved to the philippines to set up a cheese manufacturing plant. I received a $1 million committment letter from the Feds, and raised another half million in private capital. I'm stepping away from the cheese project and helping find and transition to a new guy, while maintaining my sales contacts so the project doesn't just fold.

I'm looking at entrepreneurship programs, and particularly want an mba to shore up my deficiencies in accounting, and organizational structure/strategies.

All that being said, what kind of schools do you think I qualify for? I would love to go to Ross, Fuqua, or Darden. I have legacy at HBS, but I don't think anyone can reasonably expect anything from them. My safety school is looking like George Washington, but because it's r3, is that safe enough? Am I being too pessimistic?

Thanks for any and all advice guys/gals!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:31 am
Hi,

Your profile looks interesting and diverse. Also you have good GMAT score that really help you to aim at target schools, you can also target Babson College (Olin) which is number 1 for entrepreneurship. Suggest you to apply in early rounds for next year to be on safer side.

Regards,
Manish
Try https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 am
Hi,

Wow, you have a really neat profile!

Many schools offer great entrepreneurship opportunities either through electives, clubs, entrepreneurship centers, and competitions. I.e. Berkeley is very strong in entrepreneurship and NYU Stern has an entire center for entrepreneurship (the Berkeley Center for Entrepreneurship) and offer competitions - plus students get mentored by successful alumni and they compete for a prize (money!) to start their business.

My advice would be to look into some of the schools you are targeting and see if they have entrepreneurship centers and business plan competitions (these are really GREAT for entrepreneurs who want to learn how to come up with a b-plan from scratch and then how to pitch it to investors or to raise money).

Also check out what happens to students after they graduate (meaning, you can find the stats of who goes out and starts their own venture - Wharton recently was very happy about their stats in this arena...Also how much would you be able to collaborate with students in other disciplines like engineering , for example...

All schools will prepare you in accounting and organizational structure/strategies as these topics are generally part of the core curriculum.

Hope that helps

Best,
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:39 am
Business schools look for a diverse class and like people who have a different work experience. But the single most important thing for admissions committees is leadership experience. Whichever field you work in, if you do not possess leadership skills, then getting an admit in business schools is not possible. Your work experience is completely entrepreneurial, which is good. But moving away from your business is something which you'll have to explain to the adcoms.

You can get more information about impact of entrepreneurial experience at : https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/entrep ... ss-schools

Your GMAT score and undergraduate GPA is good for your target schools and your work experience also shows international exposure. What about your extra-curriculars? Since you are applying in R3, you need to have an impeccable application to impress the adcoms. The following link can help you in creating a perfect application : https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Try to get your application verified by alumni of your target schools.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com