Week in Critcal Reasoning[Help needed]

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Week in Critcal Reasoning[Help needed]

by subhasis8877 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:50 am
Hello,
I just started Critical resoning a week ago.I have read and understood the concepts. I read Kaplan premier and Prienceton Review.
Then i started solving OG 11 problems.I am very dissapointed because out of 10, only 2 question, i am able to answer correctly.

I am not a native english speaker.Can somebody suggest how to attack critical resoning questions.

Can somebody suggest some good books for critical reasoning ?

GMAT Score:620

by gmat620 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 am
hello subhasis, don't lose heart. first of all, try to do questions under untimed condition bcoz if you are really weak in basic CR, its of no use to rush and mark all answers wrong.The most important thing is you should first make a strategy to attack a question, you can just read the strategy section of this wonderful forum(BTG) and can follow some tips and suggestion to improve your critical reasoning skills. Also, I have heard about a book called Powerscore CR bible, though I haven't tried it myself, which is said to be best book for CR.Above all you should be courageous to fight this demon called GMAT...All the best !!

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Hello

by gmat740 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:07 pm
Hello

I think the CR part is where even the native speakers also have problem, so don't worry about that.Infact this is the part which drives nuts to every test taker

I have not given the test yet but I am not the beginner also.

When I started I also faced the same problem like you are facing. But I have been consistently doing PowerScore CR Bible. This book is really having some great concepts to tackle questions.

As far as OG-11 is concerned, the questions are not topic wise and not proper concepts are there to learn from.

OG-11 is good for practise and not for learning.

Hope this helps

by subhasis8877 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:41 pm
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have started with PowerScore GMAT Critical resoning bible.

The problem of mine, is I generally understand the question stem also able to distinguish between conclusion and evidence.

But while choosing answers, i always choose so called "out of scope" answers.

Valid answer sometime appears "Out of scope" for me.

Hoping,PowerScore bible will help.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Concept for Out of Scope

by gmat740 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 pm
Hello,
I think all Questions in CR,they have some kind of out of scope Answers which although at first may seem very obvious to anybody.

The key is to read very closely.As you start practicing more and more you will get acquainted.

The best way to get rid of Out of Scope answer is to ask your-self is something about this is really given.
Or if including this new info really worth of Strengthening/Weakening the argument.