Visit to business school

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Visit to business school

by El Cucu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 pm
Hi LISA
I was wondering whether the fact of visiting the University of Chicago Booth is really important to be admitted or if it makes a difference among applicants in the same level, background or country.

I heard different stories so I would like to hear from you according to your vast experience.

Many tks!

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

by gkumar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:10 pm
I too would like to know this answer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 pm
Dear El Cucu,

I would not go so far as to say that if you don't visit you will be rejected, or that if the school is deciding between you and another applicant, and that applicant has visited and you haven't, the other applicant will be admitted. However, visiting a school does show a certain level of interest and motivation. If you are local, meaning within about a 200 mile radius of Chicago, then you absolutely should visit--you have no excuse. If you are not local and visiting campus poses a hardship for you, then that is certainly understandable. In that case, you will want to do anything and everything possible to meet with Booth representatives that come near you for MBA fairs, participate in online chats, and reach out in other ways to current students/alumni to learn about the school. In essence, you want to be able to demonstrate to the school that you did make a concerted effort to learn about Booth and its culture. You also want to be sure to convey to the admissions committee what steps you have taken if you do not get a chance to visit so they are aware.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me