cr

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

cr

by resilient » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:38 pm
in regards to CR, I have a weakness in Assumptions and Inferences. Is there non-OG place, book or online resource that I can do some exercises?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: cr

by lunarpower » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:19 am
Enginpasa1 wrote:in regards to CR, I have a weakness in Assumptions and Inferences. Is there non-OG place, book or online resource that I can do some exercises?
you could try manhattangmat's critical reasoning strategy guide, which contains, inter alia, a chapter on the different types of assumptions that often appear in cr problems.

here's a helpful hint from my own tortured brain:
i find that making 'flowchart'-style diagrams - with assertions in little boxes, and arrows between the boxes to show logical progression - is extremely helpful in elucidating the logic of CR problems. once you make such a diagram, think about each arrow in turn, and decide whether any of the arrows represents a deduction that rests upon questionable assumptions.

for instance, in this problem, i would diagram the environmentalist's statement as follows:
box containing 'photographs would damage public image'
...arrow to ...
box containing 'damaged public image lowers sales'
...arrow to ...
box containing 'lower sales = concern'
...arrow to ...
'no other concern'
in this mini-diagram, the first two arrows represent sound reasoning, but the third arrow is highly questionable: that the company has concern X does not, in any way, imply that it has no other concerns. it is clear, then, that more than one assumption is at work here.

hope that sort of approach helps.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

excellent

by resilient » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:07 am
Great. I just went through the og draw a conclusion and assumption questions. I get about 85 % correct. If I find the logical reasoning, I am good. ALso, I identified the different assumption types in manhattan cr. THat was good too. thank you
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by OnapiIndia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:04 am
It really helps good to hear this. :D

by cjiang16 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 pm
there are a lot of free tests on the internet, just search by keyword like "free gmat test", and you will get a few good sources.

by jamess » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:02 am
There are lots of tests that you can find from google.
Check out <a href="https://gmatadvice.blocked">gmatadvice.blocked</a> for useful tips to ace the GMAT.
<a href="https://gmatadvice.blocked/2008/04/ ... tml">ebook on critical reasoning</a> launched.