Got into Duke EMBA

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Got into Duke EMBA

by achandwa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm
I am so happy and excited to make it into the program. Originally, I wasn't planning to apply this year because I didn't think I could make the final deadline. But I did and got in! I understand that there are better schools, but Duke being local, was my first choice and the only school I applied to (I am still fighting an urge to take a stab at Wharton EMBA but I can't see how it can work out with 7.5 hours commute from my home. And being self-funded, I did weigh in the difference in tuition, Duke's $100,000 vs Whartons $142,000. I hope I am not going wrong). My commute will only be 30 min. Couldn't get any better especially when I see people coming to the program all over the east coast.

My profile in short: 8.5 years of work experience in software engineering. No management experience. Have some team/project lead experience. Have 5 patents in mobile wireless technology. Have MS in CS from University of Kentucky. Decent academic record, GPA of 3.8 in my masters and first class with honors from University of Mumbai, India. GMAT score: 690 (Q-49, V-34).

-Ashish

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm
Congratulations! If I were you I'd just throw in an application for W anyway. No harm!

by achandwa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:03 am
Thanks for your input Jelt. As much as I'd love to get an EMBA from Wharton instead of Duke here's some challenges I will face if accepted at Wharton:
1. Need to relocate to make commute feasible. After living over eight years in RTP, NC, I have developed roots in the community. Relocating with my wife and 3 year old son will not be easy.
2. Change job and get the new employer to agree to alternate Friday timeoffs. That would be a tough ask in a new job. In fact, I think I was lucky to get support in my current job.

These are some real challenges not to mention some others like:
3. Need to forego the Duke offer or come up with a good reason to defer the admission to next year (in case Wharton plan doesn't fall out).
4. For now, prereading has started at Duke and with a busy work schedule, it's tough to squeeze in a campus visit at Wharton.
5. I talked to a member of adcom at Wharton and she said they have admitted 1 out of 4 applicants with a similar profile as mine. So, I only have a slim chance.

If things do work out with Wharton, it will be nothing short of a miracle. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity I am offered at Duke at this point. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush after all! Nevertheless, I cannot deny the power of the Wharton brand and hence the dilemma. I understand that the brand itself will not carry you but I don't want it to make a difference either after a significant investment all out of my pocket. So the question is, is the difference between Wharton EMBA and Duke EMBA significant enough for me to think of Wharton taking into account the above challenges? For a full-time MBA, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I need to make up my mind soon. The deadline for application at Wharton is Feb 1. Will appreciate any inputs you might have.

Thanks, Ashish

by jelt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:41 am
Those are all valid concerns, but I would wager that many other business school candidates have the same problems, especially for the full-time programmes. They seem to do just fine nonetheless. Whether or not you're willing to sacrifice is however entirely up to you.

As for the brand, I believe it is worth it. A Wharton EMBA is still an MBA, and is probably seen as much better than a part-time MBA because it shows that you're at a management level where the full-time makes no sense for you anymore. ie, you're not just doing a part-time MBA in order to not miss out on work. Also, I've heard that it is possible to transfer from the EMBA to the full-time programme.

If the brand is a big consideration to you, I would apply for the Wharton EMBA first, and see how that goes. 1 out of 4 is okay, far better than the full-time MBA programme, and perhaps reflective of the general strength of the pool anyway. I'd be surprised it the adcom member really meant to give you an estimate given your specific profile.

by achandwa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 pm
Alright. I will give it a shot. I have scheduled my interview for this Saturday. My application is going to look rushed but cannot help at this point. If I get in I will owe it to you. However, I am going in without any expectation and with a sense of not having to lose anything.

by jelt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:53 pm
ok, good luck. Hopefully I'll see you in philly this fall!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:08 pm
Congrats on getting into this great program!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Duke or Wharton?

by achandwa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:43 am
My situation:
Have an admit at Duke for EMBA. Applied to Wharton EMBA last minute and interviewed yesterday. It went well. Lasted 45 minutes or so. It was more of an informal conversation with Diane Sharp, associate director of admissions. The usual questions - career path, goals, how MBA fits into my plans, sponsorship, hobbies etc. No surprises. I asked about my candidacy towards the end and the answer was "You did not raise a red flag. Rest is upto your essays and recommendations". I have requested an early decision because my program at Duke starts March 9th and I need to know what I am doing with Duke asap.

My goals:
I work as a software engineer at Cisco Systems. At this point, I don't think I want to change my industry. I am happy working in technology and would like to continue. However, I do want to change my function from engineering to marketing and my goal is to move to management. That's my line of thought of today. Two years is a long time and God alone knows whether or not I will develop an interest in finance.

My dilemma:
Wharton or Duke? Although I haven't heard back from Wharton, I am not ruling myself out and I need to be ready with my answer if the response from Wharton is favorable. Here's some pros and cons of Wharton compared to Duke's from my view point:

Pros:
1. Brand recognition & extensive alumni network (Wharton's 80,000 vs Duke's 8,000).
2. Full MBA at Wharton - doesn't seem to be watered down. I have a feeling Duke's is probably scaled down just a bit from the day-time format.
3. Full career services at Wharton. Duke doesn't offer career services. EMBA grads can't participate in job fairs even if self-funded. Wharton offers separate career services to EMBAs than full-time MBAs because the requirements are different.
4. Specialization & majoring: I understand Wharton could offer you major if you desire and if you complete a minimum number of courses in your major. Duke (for that mater most schools) doesn't for the EMBAs. Wharton also seems to offer substantially more number of electives and you could choose 8 electives at Wharton compared to 6 at Duke.

Cons:
1. Tuition fee is Duke $100,000 vs Whartons $142,000 (and some people from your class told me I shouldn't be counting on the current figure because it might be out-dated. It goes up 3-4% every year, it seems :)). I will be almost fully self-funded and so tuition fees does make a difference.
2. Commute from RTP, NC is around 3 hours total including an hour long flight, wait time at airport and cabs. That is 6 hours during the class week. Compared to Duke's 30 minutes drive one way.
3. Duke's program is 20 months vs Wharton's 24 months. One of the reasons is, there is no break between terms at Duke. There are couple of breaks in December at Wharton. The other reason is, Wharton requires 1.25 more courses compared to Duke. So, this may not exactly be a disadvantage.

I know jelt's opinion. He was the one who inspired me to take a shot at Wharton. But I would love to hear others' opinion and feedback on my situation.

Thanks, Ashish

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

essays

by resilient » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:54 pm
any reccomendations on the essays. I have to write a leadership essay and dont know how to make it the best.. where shouldii go for some homework?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

by achandwa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:30 am
Update on Wharton:
Did not make it. I have no regrets. Duke will save me a lot of time, money and energy and hopefully will get me where I want to be. Thanks Jelt, for your encouragement in taking a shot at Wharton. I will rest in peace for I atleast tried.
-Ashish

by richardwang6430 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 am
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience here. I have always dreamed of getting into such a top program.