Columbia or Stern

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Columbia or Stern

by vam82 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 am
I have a hard time choosing which one to apply to. They are both in the top echelon, pretty much the same class profile, both good @ investment banking (what i'm interested at), both in NYC, both with reputable professors, both offer good Fin. Aid packages for Internetional students. Are there any significant differences between the two schools? Any insights?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:34 pm
Is there any reason why you wouldn't apply to both? If your interest is Investment Banking then you really should apply to both these Universities. As far as IB recruitment goes I think Columbia is slightly ahead of Stern in terms of salary, placements etc. In terms of academic quality I think there isn't much between the two universities. There are other things that you might want to consider.

NYU/Stern is in one of the best locations on the planet. Vibrant/Artsy East Village is a few blocks east. Sophisticated/Art Galleries/ Museums and clubs of Chelsea/West Village are a few blocks west. Few subway stops south you're in Financial District. Few Subway stops north you're in mid-town where Hedge Funds, Asset Management firms and the rest sit.

Columbia is in the Upper West side and a few blocks south east is Central Park. There are quite a few tennis courts up there as well.

I went to Courant Institute right opposite Stern @ NYU. So I am a bit biased. However, I, for personal reasons, would never consider either Columbia or NYU for an MBA.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by blakeosh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:23 pm
Probably an impossible question to answer but..

What is an average applicant profile for acceptance to Stern. Undergrad gpa, Gmat score, work experience...

Any insight is appreciated