// URGENT: Help needed :(

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

// URGENT: Help needed :(

by BBJ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:17 pm
I'm not gonna lie.. I SUCK when it comes to this exam and i honestly desperately need help!
im really lost.. and my gmat exam is coming up and i know im not ready.
I have one month left and i recently just got my OG11th edition and my GMAT Kaplan books.

I was hoping someone could tell me how i could plan my way through in just one month since i don't have time and applications are due in soon! :(
I'm not expecting to aim 700 or above.. but i do need to aim around 600 if possible!
I suck with numbers and im weak when it comes to reading comprehension lol :oops:
i scored around 450 on my first practice test that i recently have taken and i'm trying to be as honest as possible so i could hopefully gain some advice and know what to do next! :(

so if anyone has any kind of advice, it would be highly appreciated!
Thank you in advance

Regards,
BBJ

by BBJ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 pm
anyone....? please :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by frantastic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:20 pm
Was that 450 on a Kaplan test or an official test? (Did you also download the free GMATPrep tests from mba.com?)

If it was a Kaplan test, don't worry at all...from what everyone says here, Kaplan can be off by even 100 points!! Take a free GMATPrep test or the free one on review.com and see how you do on that; those are both known to be pretty accurate. But take a deep breath first to re-direct your energies so you're not anxious.

You can do it!!

by BBJ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:49 am
it was the official test :(
thats why im re-taking it and i have been trying to solve questions for the past few months but i still didn't get any better. :(
And yes i have downloaded the GMATPrep tests & i've scored low on it.. i have just about one month to go and i can't re-schedule the exam since application deadline is 1st of April :x

help lol :(

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by medea66 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 pm
I'm in the same boat as you. What you should do is take a look at the exact questions you got wrong, understand them and do them again. Then, do the entire set again (both right and wrong). Do many sets of practice problems and apply the same approach. Take time out everyday to do the practice since there is only 1 month to go. Remember, confidence counts! The more confident you are (with more practice, of course), the better you will do.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:49 pm
Spend some time putting together a solid study strategy. If you're committed to self study, I highly recommend you read through my GMAT study blog, https://beatthegmat.blocked. I kept this blog during my studies to document my day-to-day study schedule.

You have to figure out: your overall strategy, when you will study each day, and how you will set milestones.

Read through some of the resources here as well when you get a chance, https://www.beatthegmat.com/resources.html. The posts about how to track and analyze your errors are highly recommended reads.

More importantly--if you have any questions about the GMAT during your studies, ask this community. That's why we are here! Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by frantastic » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm
Quick question on that April 1 application deadline...have you confirmed with the school(s) you're applying to that an unofficial test score is sufficient for your app by that date? It takes three weeks for your official score, which includes your AWA score, to get to the schools. If you're taking the test in a month, you won't have an official score before the deadline.

Also, don't rush your app. If any parts of your app are lackluster because you rushed it, the schools can tell...and it affects your chances. I know someone who rushed it, including her GMAT, was anxious as a result. She did poorly on her GMAT and her essays weren't quite good enough. She knew it, but she HAD to make the final application deadline and put herself under a ton of pressure. (She wanted to get her app in that year, not wait a year.) She was waitlisted, then rejected.

When she looked back on it a few months later as she started again, she saw all the mistakes she made that made her application weak. She took her time with everything the second time around, did a ton of research online for what really matters for your app, spread out her GMAT prep and application prep, and her app was a thousand times better. She got in to 4 of the 5 schools she applied to, and since her app was so much stronger, she applied to better schools. Win-win despite it not feeling like that at first.

I am not in any way trying to discourage you or freak you out as you prep over the next month, but please take enough time with the whole process so that you do it right and improve your chances. You absolutely CAN delay your test and apply next year. The world won't end, your career won't be shot, etc.

Take a deep breath, develop a study plan, and develop a contingency plan in case you're not getting where you want to be.

Good luck! You CAN beat the GMAT...don't let stress beat you in the meantime.

by BBJ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:48 am
^ In the application it just asks me when i've taken my GMAT exam. They want the official report sent to them so I'm guessing that should be fine.
I've completed half of my application since I've been preparing for this for a few months now. I just have left to do my TOEFL & GMAT exam.
My TOEFL exam is next week so that should be fine too.

The problem is, i'm taking 5subjects at uni this term and i'm busy with that from 2-10 everyday (minus weekends)!
So the only time i have to study would be early in the morning and late at night (and weekends ofcourse). But i'm willing to study and think to myself it's just one month of hard work.
urghhh i can do it :x lol :oops:

Eric i've checked out your study blog and that's amazing.. wish i could do that sort of thing in one month lol. I also have looked at few of the resources and they're really great! Thanks again :)

Medea66 i feel ya lol :( and yeah i'll just have to do every set of questions over again whether i get them right or wrong to understand the concept even better. One of my main problems with the reading comprehension is that.. while im reading the text.. if i don't like it, my mind will start to wonder off to other things but i'll still be there sitting reading the text but not paying any attention to it lol :( So i'm trying to always put a positive attitude while i read and try to be interested as much as i can!

Thanks to every single one of you who adviced me! I really appreciate it :) i'll keep you guys updated and i'll let you know how it goes :wink:

by frantastic » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:58 pm
BBJ, I would contact them to make sure you don't need an official GMAT score by April 1. All of the applications ask you when you took the GMAT. Don't guess on this...be sure!

by richardwang6430 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:09 pm
Good luck