Analysis of an argument

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Analysis of an argument

by pneel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 pm
The following appeared as part of a business plan by the Capital Idea Investment firm.

"Currently more and more books are becoming available in electronic from--either free of charge on the Internet or for a very low price per book on CD-ROM. People who would not pay bookstore prices will now have access to whatever book they want from their home or work computers. Consequently ,literary classics are likely to be read more widely than ever before. 72 percent of those responding to a recent survey said they would read books in electronic form, and 81 percent said they believed that reading classic works was important. Given this newly developing market, we should invest in E-classics, a new compnay that sells electronic versions of literary classics."

Discuss how well reasoned..etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the business plan made by Capital Idea Investment firm. In the modern world, technology plays a very important role. We can see more and more books available on CD-ROM and free e-books also available to read on internet.

It is mentioned by Capital Idea Investment firm that since literary classics will be easily available, more people will be reading it. The survey results were surprising because more people believe that literary classics should be read by using a book and not in the electronic form. I don’t find the survey results convincing, since we are not told how many people took the survey.

It is possible that people who didn’t prefer the electronic form have no access to computers and internet. They are not willing to try the electronic option of reading.The survey results would have helped only if the author was more elaborate about how the survey was done. How many people participated in the survey and how many were aware of e-books option?

CD-ROM and e-books are becoming increasingly popular because it is easy to carry, whereas a paper book is heavy depending on the number of pages. E-books are generally free or have very minimal charge, so it is very affordable for people who needs only a reference material. Such people don’t have to go and buy expensive books on the
subject.

I think CD-ROM and e-books have a very strong market and it will be a wise decision for anyone to invest in E-classics. Considering the benefits of the electronic form of information, I think the market for CD-ROM and e-books will continue to grow for several years.