4 wks 4 days to GMAT....PLEASE advice?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

4 wks 4 days to GMAT....PLEASE advice?

by GMAT? » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:40 am
Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful for advice regarding my situation.

I have been through both the maths and verbal reviews in the Princeton Review and Kaplan books. That is the section they tell you how to approach the verbal and maths questions and the basic maths and verbal concepts. This took me 2 weeks in total.

I haven't done practice questions / tests yet.

I now have 4 weeks and 4 days off work and my GMAT is at the end of this.

Do I have enough time? I need to score around 700 as I will be applying to the top MBA programs.

I feel stressed and worried I will not get the needed score. I hear of people revising for 6 months and more.

What is the best way to use up my time in the next 5 weeks.

Thanks everyone for you help. Its really appreciated.

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:05 am
Hello GMAT?

First off, it's great that you've worked through the Kap & Princeton books.

But now it's time to start doing lots of problems. Get the Official Guide & start by doing 20 Q of each topic. (You might want to get a timer and start doing 2- minute problems.)

Next you need to start doing timed tests ...

I'd suggest that you read Eric's:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=98

and poke around this website, there's a ton of good advice.

With respect to your question: "can I do it in 5 weeks?" I dunno. Some people can and others need more time. I suspect that you are trying to make the ROUND 2 application deadline.

One thing is for sure: if you don't get a strict study schedule that you can commit to, you definitely won't make it. Get started. There's a lot of smart folks on this site ready to support your efforts. But get to it ...
Ian Streicher

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by wildrebel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Hi GMAT?

I wholly advocate what ianstrike has to say.

I'd like to add though- as soon as possible, download and install the GMATPrep software available on www.mba.com

It's an actual simulation of the real GMAT, and it'll help you get a feel for the test and the way it's conducted. It also gives you a reasonably accurate reading of your score.

The GMATPrep software only has 2 tests, but the bank of questions is quite large, so you could give each test twice, and have only a minimal overlap.

See how you score in those tests, and combine that with solving questions from Official Guide.

Don't worry, 5 weeks is an acceptable amount of time. It really depends on you. Just trying making your performance peak right before the GMAT.

And most importantly, don't stress yourself out. Prepare as well as you can, and go take the GMAT with a cool, calm mind. That will help you more than solving 1000s of questions!

All the best!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx