Tangible differences among schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tangible differences among schools

by murrayhill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 pm
Sorry if this info has been posted before, but I am starting to do die-hard research on the tangible differences among the top 20 schools, and came across a great interview with Cornell admissions director. https://bit.ly/8b1FOl

Recruiting women:
The second thing that we are very excited about is the fact that we have 39 percent female students in the incoming class. That's up from 28 percent. Last year we committed extra money to scholarships for females, and we were very involved with several organizations committed to increasing opportunities for women in business, such as the Forte Foundation and 85 Broads. We have a record number of Forte Fellows this year at the Johnson School.

We have a whole yield and retention strategy associated with women as never before. Traditionally, 25 percent of applicants to most MBA programs are women. We were in that space. But through our offering and our scholarships, we were able to create an incoming class that is 39 percent female. If we can get to 50 percent next year, I say let's get to 50 percent. I don't know if we can, but I do know that we have a lot more women in the class this year and they are bringing great diversity to the class.

Immersion program (going to research more):
our big differentiator from other schools is our immersion program. During the second semester, every class, professor, speaker, and field trip has to do with what you choose to immerse yourself in, be it investment banking, capital markets or sustainable global enterprise. Many of our applicants know about the immersion program and that's why they look at us.

by murrayhill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 pm
I didn't know this, but Cornell's reputation is for being the "friendly" MBA program (?).

article from 2006:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 945984.htm

by murrayhill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 pm
from the article/interview:

Are there any stereotypes about Cornell that you'd like to disprove?
You know, we're often referred to as a friendly school. Many people talk about how we're the friendly school, and I'd like to think that we're collegial.

We're a very outgoing and inclusive community here, and our students who go through it enjoy it. It's rare that we get someone who says, "I spent two years at the Johnson School, and I didn't like it," and we pride ourselves on that.

But I would also say that we're one of the more academically rigorous institutions out there, and while we may be collegial, friendly does not mean that we are easy, by any stretch of the imagination. Our standards are pretty high. We're a top 10 school, we have a great alumni network, and we're going to be selecting students that live up to that expectation.

by murrayhill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:47 pm
I don't know how old this is, but there are great blurbs here describing the salient differences among the top programs:

"All school descriptions below are courtesy of Your MBA Game Plan and used with express permission of the authors."
https://www.veritasprep.com/mba/rankings/