expertreply cooma + but

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

expertreply cooma + but

by arghya05 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 pm
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.
A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months
behind in its payment to
B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months
behind in its payment to
C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in its paying
D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying

i guess , but(FANBOYS) independent clause rule is violated in E i guess in e subject is missing
c is better

i am confused sometimes one rule does not apply on other rc

rxpeert reply

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:04 am
arghya05 wrote:After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.
A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months
behind in its payment to
B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months
behind in its payment to
C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in its paying
D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying

i guess , but(FANBOYS) independent clause rule is violated in E i guess in e subject is missing
c is better

i am confused sometimes one rule does not apply on other rc

rxpeert reply
I don't think so C is better because of in it's paying, right construction would have been in it's payment

In E ellipsis rule is followed I.e , but [health care company] then proved unable to xxxxxxx

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:14 am
IMO:E

What is OA?