The Fling Ends In A Fuss... ~ 720.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

The Fling Ends In A Fuss... ~ 720.

by Ldreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am
720 [ Q-51, V-35 :( ]

Took GMAT few time back after a 2 month stint with rigorous prep...
Had a retro feeling of Wat-Would-I-Do-Without-750, so was tad disappointed with the score, when verbal duped me.

Was scoring arnd 40 in verbal on an avg in practice tests, so thought consciously that 50-40 combination in Q-V will take me to 750 level. Hit 38-40 in GMATPrep verbal, but went to paltry 35 in finale. Things go bad when u expect them the least.

Was nicely entrenched with Quant Apti...(For an IITian in India, scoring 50 or below in GMAT quant would be considered scurrilous for him :? )
In two mnths, except the practice tests, did nothing for it, seriously.

After this score, I am not in a mood to write a complete dummy-guide story of my prep, you will find a lot more USEFUL of them in this forum (Eric et al seriously do a gr8 job). However, any purple-cow suggestion I could give is the following Bullet points:

**If u r cognitively weak in verbal, and aim just to make it to 40+, then expect a higher standard dev in ur actual performance than from even GMAT Prep...Hav studied umpteen stats and scores regarding this.

**MGMAT is closest to anything real GMAT....with some fabulous explanations to SC/CR...However, their verbal CAT level falls marginally below the real dig...that hardly matter though...Big Thumbs UP.
Dont waste ur money on anything Princeton, 800 score etc etc...instead buy MGMAT's 6/8 CAT access (or get free 1 mnth free access).

**Do OG10/OG11 both several times...(I did 6-7 times), and for SC, come out with comprehensive error-reporting urself, as it is in the explanations...Your thought process shud be similar to the Test Takers.

Rest I m blank as to wat to do next with this score, since I guess with a 2 yr IT work-ex, scholarship in a gud school would be a distant dream...just keeping the faith within me.

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

720 is a fantastic score

by GCHall840 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:14 pm
Hi Ldreamer,
I think that getting a 720 on the GMAT is fantastic. One of my friends got into Stanford's MBA program with that score. You are a very fortunate person..and smart, too..to get a very high score like that.

Congratulations from me.
Greg

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:38 am
I second Greg's comments--a 720 is a great achievement, congrats!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school