Bombed the GMAT!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Bombed the GMAT!

by gllevy » Sat May 26, 2007 7:48 pm
I don't know what to do now that I have bombed the GMAT with a sub 450 score. I feel lost and don't know where to go next. I had a Kaplan tutor and took a Kaplan class and spent many hours going over problems. What strategies does anyone have for me to really improve my score. I'm shooting for 650 and need to get there next time around. Please help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat May 26, 2007 8:35 pm
I'd suggest you to build the fundamentals first.

It'll take two months to gain some confidence and decent accuracy.
I dont know much about your background your UG major whether you're from engg or from other stream.

...It's very rare to see 200+ improvement yet if you devote more time learning basics it'll be easier for you to get a good score next time.

DONT take practise CAT GMAT for 2 months. just study.

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members
Hi Gllevy,
I think that sounds disappointing to get a 450 on the GMAT. I scored within that range when I took the GMAT quite a few years ago. I also took a Kaplan class during that time as well. I didn't really think that their reams and reams of practice material gave me the confidence that I wanted after I spent a lot of money on their course. Furthermore, Kaplan does not promote any use of the Official Guide to the GMAT as a part of their GMAT prep course. That in itself made me realize that I did not get the most important part of what would have helped me the most to do better on the GMAT.

What did your tutor say to you when you told him/her that you only got a 450 on your test after all the money that you spent on a Kaplan course and a personal tutor as well?

How many practice tests did you take when you were working with your tutor and when you took the Kaplan GMAT class? Those tests should have given you some sort of idea about your strengths and weaknesses. If you did take several practice tests, your tutor should have helped you with the results?

I don't know how you are going to improve your score by 200 points if nobody at Kaplan gave you anything to go by? I would seriously think about another prep course that has what you need to feel better about what happened to you.

Can you afford to spend about $225 or so for what I think might really help you? Take a look at Manhattan GMAT because they sell 5 math strategy guides and 3 verbal strategy guides. Also, you should buy a copy of the Official Guide to the GMAT 11th edition, and the Official Guide: Math and Verbal Review(2 separate books). The MGMAT strategy guides would give you exposure to the basics through more advanced methods. If you follow their strategy guides step by step, you might be surprised by how much of a help that they really are. It is a very important thing to use the Official Guide as a part of your preparation process, too. The MGMAT strategy guides give the user the right kind of mix of content material and their own practice sets, to get you ready to do the questions and problems in the Official Guide.

I hope that you take some time to look at that material from Manhattan GMAT. It offers a very good approach to the right kind of strategies necessary to get a feeling for what content material is tested on the GMAT. And, it would also provide you with a very well developed, structured study plan, too.

Greg

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun May 27, 2007 8:15 am
As an incentive to what you're posting on forums here, ManhattanGMAT should consider refunding your fees, Greg. :lol: ;) ...
just kiddin :lol:
mate.;)

gllevy,
we have very limited info about you and your plan; tell ur more.

Thank you

by gllevy » Tue May 29, 2007 6:43 am
I appreciate all the replies. I have not yet contacted Kaplan to let them know about my disappointment about the exam or my preparation. It sounds from the replies that I must buy the OG 11th edition and the additional Math and Verbal guides to improve. Any other suggestions? How much studying each day? How to study? Should I just keep doing problem after problem from the books?

Thanks,

Greg

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Studying for the GMAT

by GCHall840 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 pm
Hi Greg,
I gave you some information about what Manhattan GMAT has to offer. I would seriously consider looking at their website to see if their materials might be of interest to you. I think that you are looking for a structured study plan. Well, they do offer that kind of a study plan, but it will cost you a few dollars to be able to get it. If you are into studying on your own, they have a package for that, too. However, from the sound of things at your end, I think that you need something more than just a simple plan with not that much guidance.

Honestly, I would limit your study time to 25 hours a week. How should you study? Well, that also depends on what you think that you need to study in order to feel comfortable with the content material that is tested on the GMAT. And, how would you know what to study if you don't have something to guide you while you are trying to study?

The next thing that might help you figure out what you need to do in order to start improving your situation, is to take a practice test before you do anything else. I would consider purchasing the Manhattan GMAT online test bank for $39. That is a computer adaptive test bank that has 1,000 questions in it, enough to allow you to take 6 tests without repeating questions. I like that idea because when you take a MGMAT CAT, you get complete explanations for each question on the test. That will give you the ability to determine what your strengths and weaknesses are most of all. Then, you can use that as a guide to make your own study plan. Or, if you want, you can sign up for their online course or in person GMAT prep course. Either one of those MGMAT classes are worth every penny of the fee. Those classes and what goes with them, would give you a very useful and complete study plan. In addition, those classes along with the strategies, their problem sets, and supporting material, all were designed primarily to help you to be able to practice the problems in the Official Guide.

Let me know what you think would work for you? By the way, doing problem after problem in the Official Guide or in any other GMAT prep book, with no direction in mind, would not be useful much at all. In the case of a test like the GMAT, having a plan and a purpose for everything that you do, is a very important part of the preparation process.

Greg

by gllevy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 am
Greg (GCHall840) -

I actually had taken a Kaplan GMAT course and invested in 35 hours of their private tutoring (Total cost was over $5,000). Right now I am obviously looking to not spend any money. I need an idea of how to turn around my score on my own study plan. I appreciate your suggestions. But I also thought that the CAT exams on the mba website were almost identical to the actual exam. Why would I want to download the Manhattan exams that aren't free? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Greg

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:16 pm
gllevy wrote:Greg (GCHall840) -

I actually had taken a Kaplan GMAT course and invested in 35 hours of their private tutoring (Total cost was over $5,000). Right now I am obviously looking to not spend any money. I need an idea of how to turn around my score on my own study plan. I appreciate your suggestions. But I also thought that the CAT exams on the mba website were almost identical to the actual exam. Why would I want to download the Manhattan exams that aren't free? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Greg
Definitely download those CATs from MBA.com. They are the most accurate similution of the real GMAT. However, there are only two tests in this software package. If you need to have more practice tests, Kaplan, PR, and Manhattan GMAT have great tests as well.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school