How to Shortlist Your B-School

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to Shortlist Your B-School

by PathToMBA » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm
MBA Aspirants!

Shortlisting of B-School is one the important and toughest decision an MBA apirant has to make.

Tough decision - if you have an opportunity to choose between a top bracket, international B-school and an IIM. Congratulations, for being in this prestigious cadre. Though exalting, the situation can leave the best of us pretty confused. So, here are few things to consider, that can clear up the air.
First up, it is good to align expectations - your ultimate goal and the reason to pursue a management degree, with what the school has to offer. Are you more inclined towards administration or towards entrepreneurship? While both Indian and International schools offer good opportunities for Entrepreneurial research, platform to present to investors and other entrepreneurial resources, the International B-schools, definitely set trends with their success stories in innovative technologies. So, if your aim is to be a CEO in the long run, an Indian B-school is equally suited to equip you, while if your goal is to promote a company in the short term, an International B-school might prove to be a better choice.

Second, it is important to consider your location preferences. An international B-school would provide better opportunities to those willing to live and pursue careers abroad, than if one were to move back to India and not be willing to relocate. Moreover, International B-Schools also offer a distinct peer group of globe trotters (or simply students who are open to travelling and working in countries other than their own).

The third consideration is surely the costs, the earning opportunities available and the returns. Both, the cost and the opportunities to earn while you study are higher abroad than in India. Yet, Business Today sited not too long ago that "While a graduate from IIM-A earns 44% return on investment (ROI) after one year, passouts from Harvard, Stanford, Chicago Booth and ULCA Anderson get just 15%, 14% 18% and 20% ROI, respectively on their degrees."*

Considering the above, the short conclusion is that if immediate entrepreneurship in not your key agenda, cost is an important factor, and you choose to be based in India, an IIM or equivalent is a good decision.

For more information visit https://pathtomba.com/

Cheers!
Path to MBA Team

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by xervflg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm
First of all I would like to say that this is an ambiguous and judgmental post.
The topic you started with was "Shortlist Your B-School" and you ended up passing a judgement that IIMs are better than any International B-School. You didn't give an opinion. Let me rationalize...

• You said - "if your aim is to be a CEO in the long run, an Indian B-school is equally suited to equip you, while if your goal is to promote a company in the short term, an International B-school might prove to be a better choice".
    That is totally wrong. If you look at statistics, HEC France holds the record for highest number of CEOs. How many CEOs in the world are from IIMs. Not only that, I have actually met many alumni from IIMs who cannot find a good job, forget about being a CEO.
  • "While a graduate from IIM-A earns 44% return on investment (ROI) after one year, passouts from Harvard, Stanford, Chicago Booth and ULCA Anderson get just 15%, 14% 18% and 20% ROI, respectively on their degrees"
    I know you quoted business today, but keep in mind that it is an Indian Magazine biased towards IIM. We cant say if they were paid to write that cause in my opinion, ROI in India is Pathetic. Also, the average salary post IIMs is $20,000 vs the salary at Harvard $120,700(BusinessWeek). Forget what they claim, this is the real figure. With nearly 10 times more competition than Ivy League, people dont even get a MBA degree(its a PGDM) from IIMs and a meagre salary is offered, I don't think that's any return on an investment.
If you want a detailed calculation on ROI for Harvard, Stanford, Chicago Booth and ULCA Anderson vs IIM, reply. I would be happy to show you calculations, not only for after one year of passing out, but also after 20 years of graduating.