Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Boston.mba » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am
Hi,

I just appeared for Gmat and scored quite below my expectations. I got just a 600 although i was expecting above 680. My GPA is 3 and I have a computer engineering background with 1.5 yrs of experience in an IT company.

I have applied for Boston College, Boston University, Babson, Northeastern and umass

Can you please tell me is there any chance I can get admission into these universities with a scholarship.

or should I take Gmat again?

Thanks,
Pri

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:19 am
Dear Pri,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that the GMAT did not go as you'd planned. A 600, while respectable, is clearly below average for the bulk of the schools on your list. Given that you have relatively limited work experience, a fairly pedestrian GPA of 3.0 and a below-average GMAT, my guess is that you will not be a likely candidate for scholarship dollars.

Having said that, the schools offer scholarships for different reasons. In some cases, they can be merit-based (GMAT+GPA), but in other cases they can be based on factors such as socio-economic status or belonging to an under-represented group in the applicant pool. While I think you are clearly out of the running for the merit-based awards, I don't have enough information here to know if you'd be eligible for other sorts of scholarships.

If you've only taken the GMAT once, my advice is that you strongly consider redoubling your prep efforts and retaking the exam.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.