Discuss the 2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship here

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Please use this forum area to discuss and ask questions about the 2007 Beat The GMAT Annual Scholarship.

Stay tuned--application details will be released April 1, 2007.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by SigGolfer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:30 am
I have a question about the following requirement:

-There is an attendance requirement for Manhattan GMAT courses—all winners must attend at least 7/9 courses. Individuals who miss more than 2 sessions will be (a) withdrawn from the course, and (b) charged a $500 fee

Does that mean that you have to watch all of the sessions live or can you watch them at your leisure? According to the Manhattan GMAT website, you can watch the sessions at any time. I ask because I will be out of the country and won't always have access to a computer connection. Thank you.

By the way, great site.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Great question, SigGolfer.

When we set this requirement, my partners and I had the classroom courses in mind. Let me do some research to see whether this rule applies to the virtual courses as well.

I hope you apply!

GMAT Instructor

by Kim » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm
Hi there SigGolfer

Thank you for your interest in the Beat the GMAT scholarship!

We are all really excited about the program, as there are countless future business leaders out there who are unable to master the GMAT and capitalize on admissions expertise. Scholarship awards are limited and for this reason, we have to award them to students who are fully prepared to go above and beyond in terms of the course itself. While it is true that recordings are available, attendance at live/interactive classes is the very best way to maximize the benefits of ManhattanGMAT preparation. And this pertains to either in-person OR virtual students (you must attend your particular class). For this reason, you will have to abide by the strict attendance policy that requires you to attend at least 7 out of the 9 class sessions. There can no exceptions as that wouldn't be fair to others in the program.

Like Eric, I really hope that you apply and that you can carve out the time to attend the class.

Best wishes,
Kim Watkins
ManhattanGMAT
Kim Watkins
Senior Director, Marketing and Student Services
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by catalinan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:49 pm
Hi Guys,

I have a question, what about international students?
Check Out my Gmat Blog
https://www.gmatjourney.blocked/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:51 pm
catalinan wrote:Hi Guys,

I have a question, what about international students?
The Beat The GMAT Scholarship is open to international students!

https://www.beatthegmat.com/scholarship/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 pm
First of all, let me commend on this initiative. You are showing a lot of commitment towards making this beneficial to all. Congratulations, and all the best to you.

I have a question related to the scholarship. Can't the fourth and fifth prizes have the option of consultation with Stacy instead of the Manhattan course in case the winner has already taken the GMAT?

Why I am raising this point is that GMAT is usually a 2-3 months journey for many people. Annual scholarship is a great idea, but all those who have taken GMAT or are going to take it before June will not benefit from the prize. If there is a choice of GMAT course or consultation with Stacy, both groups of candidates would be interested. And it would depend on the winner if he/she would like to use the help on the GMAT or the rest of the application.

I understand that the website is called beatthegmat so the primary focus is on GMAT, but with Stacy here, this forum has a lot to offer to applicants who are done with their GMAT too.

GMAT Instructor

by Kim » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 am
Hi Rajesh_ctm,

You ask a very interesting question, but one that cannot really be answered on my end.

Eric, Beat the GMAT's esteemed leader, is out of town until March 30th, but I'm sure he will check in and get back to you after he has had a chance to consider your request.

Thank you so much for your interest in the scholarship.

Oh, and by the way, how did you do on the GMAT?

Kim Watkins
ManhattanGMAT
www.manhattangmat.com
Kim Watkins
Manhattan GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 am
I think he hasn't yet taken the test.
Right, Rajesh?
... even I had this question in my mind.

I'd suggest you to apply anyways, irrespective of your GMAT status... see if you fit into the criteria mentioned on the site.
:)
ATB

by rajesh_ctm » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 am
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your response. That is perfectly fine. I will wait for Eric to come back. I had seen his out-of-town post so I was expecting any reply after 30th March anyway.

I am taking the exam on 28th Apr.

Regards,
Rajesh

GMAT Instructor

by Kim » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:42 am
I agree with ATB!

And in any case, if you need anything before the April 28 test, please let me know. I should also point out that while Stacy Koprince is our expert at Beat the GMAT, our full team of instructors post answers to GMAT questions in our own forum, www.manhattangmat.com/forums. If you're stuck on a concept or a particularly hard question, fee free to post it there as well.

Best,
Kim
Kim Watkins
Manhattan GMAT

by rajesh_ctm » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:43 am
I'd suggest you to apply anyways, irrespective of your GMAT status... see if you fit into the criteria mentioned on the site.
Oh, definitely! Anyway, first three prizes have something for the application process so I will surely participate keeping those as target. :-)
Last edited by rajesh_ctm on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by rajesh_ctm » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:27 am
I agree with ATB!

And in any case, if you need anything before the April 28 test, please let me know. I should also point out that while Stacy Koprince is our expert at Beat the GMAT, our full team of instructors post answers to GMAT questions in our own forum, www.manhattangmat.com/forums. If you're stuck on a concept or a particularly hard question, fee free to post it there as well.

Best,
Kim
Thank you so much! I can definitely use some help in my preparation!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm
rajesh_ctm wrote:First of all, let me commend on this initiative. You are showing a lot of commitment towards making this beneficial to all. Congratulations, and all the best to you.

I have a question related to the scholarship. Can't the fourth and fifth prizes have the option of consultation with Stacy instead of the Manhattan course in case the winner has already taken the GMAT?

Why I am raising this point is that GMAT is usually a 2-3 months journey for many people. Annual scholarship is a great idea, but all those who have taken GMAT or are going to take it before June will not benefit from the prize. If there is a choice of GMAT course or consultation with Stacy, both groups of candidates would be interested. And it would depend on the winner if he/she would like to use the help on the GMAT or the rest of the application.

I understand that the website is called beatthegmat so the primary focus is on GMAT, but with Stacy here, this forum has a lot to offer to applicants who are done with their GMAT too.
Hi Rajesh:

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I think you make some good points about timing and those who can benefit, but I'm reluctant to make any further changes to the prizes at this point. A lot of our marketing has already gone out the door for this competition, and I really want to avoid complications with changing the prize packages. However, your feedback will certainly be noted for next year's competition.

Just to remind you, Stacy's advice is always available to you through this forum. She's really committed to this community and will always answer the posts you send to her in the Stacy Blackman Forum area.

Thanks again for your comments, and I really hope that you apply!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
beatthegmat wrote:Please use this forum area to discuss and ask questions about the 2007 Beat The GMAT Annual Scholarship.

Stay tuned--application details will be released April 1, 2007.

it is already released. whats special today? on 1st april?