BEAT IT!?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

BEAT IT!?

by rakeshmathur » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm
:o

Guys n Gals,
I would like my story to be encouraging to everyone visiting, especially those who feel discouraged about their experiences and preparation. I will try to give you the gist of the experience without being boring.

I started the process of registering and studying back in the fall of 2004 and appeared for the exam in January of 2005. It wasn't the best time for me to appear since the deadlines for my favorite programs were almost over and I also was going through a really bad break up. And my scores reflected that - I got a 560 (34 V, 34 M).

I clearly remember that the night before the test I had this really nasty reaction to an email from my ex-girlfriend and those words kept ringing in my head the whole night and even while I was giving the exam. I was in such a bad state that I took a 5 minute nap in the middle of the Quantitative section to straighten my head out.

Since 2005, I registered and canceled my registration three times. Other than the loss of money, it was really demoralizing to see myself sign up for something and then not carry it through. I was preparing from 5 books, online learning resources costing hundreds of dollars, and other sources. I had almost given up the dream of going to a good graduate school and getting a degree in Marketing, my original goal. The GMAT had become an end in itself.

Finally, after a tumultuous 2006, in late December of the same year, I took time off from my job and spent a week at home just studying. I decided that I will give the exam on the 26th of January, 2007 but I had to postpone to the 1st of February. Finally after a month of studying and another week off from work, I took the exam. To my surprise, I scored 680(39 V, 44 M).

I have never felt calmer. I got to the test center, and due to GMAC regulations I was sent home to fetch my passport since that was the only acceptable form of identification. When I took the break at the end of the Writing section, I had to go to the bathroom and I lost 3 minutes in the Quantitative question. Nothing rattled me. I knew when I saw some questions, specially Quantitative, that they were tough, but I told myself - I must reach the end of the section, and I guessed on them. I read the passages and the Critical Reasoning questions very carefully.

Now I plan to apply to universities in the Bay Area, California hoping to get into a decent part-time program.

I think that some folks here will judge my scores to be average, or maybe even below average to get into a good graduate school. That is fine.

I would like to point out a few things. I believe my biggest asset for the higher score was my familiarity with the exam. I was aware of every type of question and even knew my weaknesses. The next weapon I had in my arsenal was the fact that I took five computer-based practice exams in a test-like environment (from various sources) in the days before the exam. I also had handled all the other areas of my life when I took the exam so I was free of most frustration and tension.

While I was answering the questions, I remember feeling calm and prepared, which I had not felt in over two years. The people in my life had to do a lot with it, but I think what got me over my hump was the realization that this exam is definitely not bigger than me. It just isn't. I know today that I can score better if I take it again - no doubt about that.

Needless to say however, comprehensively completing the mechanics of the preparation is what will get me the really high scores. Systematically answering most of the Official Guide questions, reading Kaplan's book for the GMAT - specially going through the CD, learning Princeton Review's Data Sufficiency techniques, and completing 800score.com's computer based tests in the last few days before the test helped me to get the score that I did and if I am more careful next time, it will get me a higher score.

In conclusion, I would like to let you know that this exam is absolutely beatable, so hey! there is no use fretting about it and secondly - paying close attention to the details of the types of questions and giving practice exams before the test will get you the score you want.

Thanks for reading!

Rakesh.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Andrei » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:57 pm
Congratulations rakeshmathur!

Your post it's really refreshing, 'cause I just took a CAT in week-end and scored 510!! : :evil: :shock: ...well, maybe the envrironemt was'nt good, because when I revieved my quant sections, 90% of the errors were due to not paying attention to simple calculus...in the verbal section, I think just skipping the Kaplan book and taking answering some questions was not enough.

It seems "the base" I am starting from is lower than I expected, but hey, the journey will be more interesting then :-)...good luck everyone!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm
Congrats! Thanks for sharing this awesome post!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Very encouraging...

by jng1103 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:57 am
It's very heartening and encouraging to read your post. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just an average joe who had encountered difficulties in Math. English is not my first langue either. So, I'm prepared to spend 6months++ to prepare and sit the exam for 2-3 times in order to get my target score (600-650). For the past 1 month, it has been very painful to go through the OG Math questions coz I cant seem to get it right. Very frustrated but GMAT is the only gateway to MBA.

After reading your post, I feel that I'm not walking alone. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to post another encouraging and personal experience on this great website.

cheerz,
jimbo

by krismatic » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:11 am
andre !

dude do they test calculus in gmat? i hope its a typing error. is it "CALCULATIONS" instead of "calculus" in our post.

rdgs jai kris.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:41 am
krismatic wrote:andre !

dude do they test calculus in gmat? i hope its a typing error. is it "CALCULATIONS" instead of "calculus" in our post.

rdgs jai kris.
There is NO calculus on the GMAT!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school